Simple Recorind Methods...

Xanibuinb
Xanibuinb
05/19/2007 4:12 am
So I recently started doing some home recording and have found a few programs such as Reaper and Audacity, I also picked up Adobe Audition just to check it out but I don't really know how to work to it well yet. Anyways this is how I am getting my sound into the comp:
[Guitar]---> [Peavy Transtube 112(headphone jack out)]----> Creative SB Audigy 2 Line-In.

Now the thing is if i plug the cord all the way into the headphone jack I get a wicked hiss and squeel sound> However if I don't put it all the way in it works just fine... Is there something I'm missing here? I think this method "should" work but I'm sure theres some way better out there for rather cheap.

I've also been looking at these as far as home recording:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/PreSonus-FIREPOD-10Channel-FireWire-Interface-with-Cubase-LE?sku=184131

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/MAudio-GuitarBox-Pro-?sku=700457

Any input would be much appreciated!
# 1
jeffhx
Disco Bandit
jeffhx
Disco Bandit
05/23/2007 4:03 pm
Originally Posted by: XanibuinbSo I recently started doing some home recording and have found a few programs such as Reaper and Audacity, I also picked up Adobe Audition just to check it out but I don't really know how to work to it well yet. Anyways this is how I am getting my sound into the comp:
[Guitar]---> [Peavy Transtube 112(headphone jack out)]----> Creative SB Audigy 2 Line-In.

Now the thing is if i plug the cord all the way into the headphone jack I get a wicked hiss and squeel sound> However if I don't put it all the way in it works just fine... Is there something I'm missing here? I think this method "should" work but I'm sure theres some way better out there for rather cheap.

I've also been looking at these as far as home recording:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/PreSonus-FIREPOD-10Channel-FireWire-Interface-with-Cubase-LE?sku=184131

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/MAudio-GuitarBox-Pro-?sku=700457

Any input would be much appreciated!

audacity is alright but i wouldnt recommend it..it has its flaws especially when u're wanting to combine several tracks together..the main problem is timing..although most of the time you can shift the tracks arnd to match the timing up (for a solo or whatever), but you'll find that it tends to mess up the flow and rythm of the solo halfway through..so like when u're ripping thru a good solo you may be disappointed to see it distorted and off timing..i myself is looking for better home recording equipment at the moment and ive been getting great reviews from podxt live from line 6...maybe you should give that a look

:) my 2 cents worth!
[FONT=Impact]grooviest tunes ever [/FONT]
# 2
Superhuman
Superhuman
05/24/2007 2:48 pm
Stick with Reaper rather than Audacity - way more features and way more stable. As far as the jack plug goes, that sounds like a problem with the connector on the soundcard or with the guitar lead itself (I would guess it's the soundcard).
# 3
maestro shaz
maestro shaz
06/03/2007 7:19 am
The lead half way in, I know that. I had the exact same problem, and to this day dunno why. I think it has something to do with the sound card.

If anything, maybe you could buy yourself a USB interface or just a USB audio converter, which you plug your guitar into and then into the USB port on your computer...

About programs, stick with Reaper mate.
[FONT=Verdana]
MuSiC RoCkZz
[/FONT]
My Music
# 4
da_ardvark
da_ardvark
06/04/2007 2:00 am
As far as the noise when the jack is plugged all the way in, I have a possible theory. Keep in mind this is pure conjecture because I don't know the exact configuration you have. So without further adieu...

The headphone jack comming out of the back of you amp is most likely stereo. This means its set up for a TRS (Tip-Ring-Sleeve) sheilded cable. The normal guitar cable is TS (Tip-Sleeve)

The Line In of the sound card is most assuredly of the TRS type.

Bottom Line, try using a sheilded stereo cable and see if it solves the problem. These cables are available at the rat shack.
# 5

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.