If you are a fan of Kenny Wayne Shepherd...

Joseph
Joseph
10/09/2001 5:14 am
...keep in mind that he was influenced byStevie Ray Vaughanmore than anyone else. Before you go out buying new "blues" cds, listen to what all the new blues guys are trying to sound like!There is just something missing from this world with Stevie gone, but at least we still have a part of him that he left behind, the music that he created.

Stevie Ray Vaughan, after all of these years it's hard to get over his death, because I can't help but imagine where he life could have gone, and what he could have taught us as the years progressed. I could hgo on for hours talking about this guy, but first off, I'm just curious as to which one of his records you find most memorable after all of these years?

So, guys put your vote in!!!

-Joseph
www.ragmagazine.com
"Swoop and soar like the blues angels."
# 1
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
10/09/2001 6:10 am
Stevie Ray was one of a long line of Texas 'guitar stranglers'. Most guitarists from down that way have recognisable similarities in their style, just like a musical version of a regional accent of speech.

Check out Johnny Winter. And then find out who influenced him.

SRV was arguably 'the best there's ever been', and part of his greatness was his willingness to acknowledge the roots he built on.

Most memorable album? 'Gotta be Couldn't Stand The Weather. After that first mind-blowing demonstration of pure, raw, Genius, the world changed, and adapted to a new definition of Blues Guitar.
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 2
jarviss
jarviss
10/09/2001 6:32 am
i like the "texas flood"
and i don't remember the name of this song
but it starts off by him playing some chords really fast
and chromatically up the neck...
its an instrumental number.....damn, can't remember
and of course i like "life by the drop"
cause its easy to play...
boot hill....
i guess anything off of "the sky is crying"

other good 'uns...
mary had a little lamb
the sky is crying
his version of "voodoo child"
love struck baby
his version of "little wing"

the guy was awesome....
it seems like alot of the great ones were taken away
from this earth so soon.

i've read interviews and articles about stevie where
people who seen him play live or jammed with him...they
said that the music just came "thru" him...like he was a
conductor for it...i've read the same type of comment about
jimi also.....weird.

anyway...
good stuff....
oh, i found this
http://www.phoenix.net/~thomas/srv/tab.html

yo
# 3
chris mood
High Bandwidth
chris mood
High Bandwidth
10/09/2001 6:15 pm
It seems that every blues player has his signature song, and Pride & Joy was definetely Stevies. The song is so perfect from every perspective (lyrically, perfect solo, arr., & that great walkin guitar bass line) I wouldn't change a note !!
# 4
Zeppelin
Zeppelin
10/09/2001 6:58 pm
In step is the srv album for me, the first i bought and defenitly the best
Boot hill is a one great song, but if you dont know it was supposed to be in the in step album as well
another great album is in the beginning
tin pan alley from this one, is sure unforgetable tune,
and "tell me" is one those songs that gives you that "make it loud" feeling
i think my playing improved dramaticaly since i've been listening to SRV, and i think he is the best player we had in the 2 last decades. always remember that unlike other people srv played almost with clean sound, and .11 strings and made it sound fulier than with any destortion.
he is the guy with the sound and with the feel, and its realy sad he was almost unknown in europe before his dramatical death
"They think im crazy..
but i know better.
It is not I who am crazy.
It is I who am mad.."

ren hoek
# 5
SRVLIVES
SRVLIVES
10/09/2001 7:48 pm
I have everything he recorded, including 'SRV' (boxed set) and I have to say it doesn't matter which album you pick up or which song you listen to, you seem to always find something new.

On the first four cds which were reissued with bonus tracks there are snippets of conversation with Stevie where he talks about playing, influences, inspirations etc. I love to listen to these and hear him just pick up the guitar and go 'Oh yeah, this was a big influence on me' and play some riff straight out of his head.

I only hope somewhere there's a trunk full of unreleased stuff that will one day see the light of day....
# 6
chris mood
High Bandwidth
chris mood
High Bandwidth
10/11/2001 4:18 pm
If your a fan of SRV check out the band Indigenous, you won't be disapointed
# 7
jarviss
jarviss
10/11/2001 7:55 pm
indigenous is good
reminds me of a bluesier big head todd.
good call
yo
# 8
chris mood
High Bandwidth
chris mood
High Bandwidth
10/17/2001 5:31 pm
has anybody ever seen the live SRV video El Mamabo (sp?)It was shot in the early 80's at a bar in Canada, if you haven't seen it and your a fan of SRV check it out, you will have a new appreciation of him. Seeing him do 3rd stone from the Sun is amazing...it would have brought a tear to Jimi' eye!
# 9
vrnorman
vrnorman
10/27/2001 3:31 am
I don't have a favorite SRV CD. I love everything that he did. I have books, artwork, family pictures, and I am constantly searching for something newly written about him.

I like Kenny Wayne Shepard but he lacks that one quality that made Stevie Ray the best, and thats the incredible sound that Stevie commanded. Just when you think Stevie has reached the peak in a song, he reaches down and pulls out another riff even better that the last one.

I miss him, even after all of these years.

Be Cool and keep on rockin....

Peace
Th'WOLF
# 10
fendermonkey77
MORE COWBELL!
fendermonkey77
MORE COWBELL!
10/29/2001 3:30 am
I love everything SRV did...if I had to pick an album it would have to be....okay I'll cheat...the SRV Box Set! As far as Kenny Wayne goes...the kid smokes. I think he catches too much flak for "not being SRV" Or "he's too young to play the blues." I think we have to look at guitar players for who they are not who they aren't. Kenny Wayne is a smokin' guitar player, no doubt about it. I think he's playin what he loves and how he loves to play so more power to him. Sure I'll pick out an SRV CD over a Kenny Wayne CD any day, but that's my personal taste. We need to give guitar players credit for what they do and who they are.
Free Backing Tracks At GuitarVoice.com!

"The pursuit of easy things makes men weak."

David O. McKay
# 11
chris mood
High Bandwidth
chris mood
High Bandwidth
10/29/2001 6:00 pm
check out Mato Nanji from Indigenous & then go back & listen too Kenny Wayne, Kennys' good but he lacks the fire & depth that make players like Stevie Ray & Mato really stick out.
http://www.indigenousrocks.com
# 12
jarviss
jarviss
10/29/2001 8:22 pm
thanks for posting that link
i really dig indigenous.
i agree. Mato does have "it"
whatever that is, that makes
guitarists better than average..
i mean..if someone really practiced..
and was "mechanical" about it...i imagine
that they could have the technical
skills to play good blues..
but to play sincerely and from the heart
i think thats whats needed to make
someone feel the blues.
i guess.
:)

i gotta go get some more of their music
-G
yo
# 13
chris mood
High Bandwidth
chris mood
High Bandwidth
10/30/2001 9:22 pm
It's good to see people support bands/artists who aren't being regurarly played on FM radio. The people should decide what they want too hear and not the industry. After listening to these guys (and girl) I don't think anybody can deny they are way more talented then Kenny Wayne, but just becuase they don't have a million dollar investment deal behind them from some multi-billion dollar record company they don't get they credit they deserve. Just remember, all you SRV fans- if Stevie didn't get the gig with David Bowie back in the early 80's we may have never known about this great talent.

# 14
jarviss
jarviss
10/31/2001 2:54 am
i hear ya
i didnt know he was playin for bowie till after i was into his music..i was like....HUH? NO WAY!
i read some interview abuot it..
it was pretty cool
-G
yo
# 15
chris mood
High Bandwidth
chris mood
High Bandwidth
10/31/2001 7:29 pm
I'm almost pretty sure (but not positive) that Texas Flood was not his 1st album, I think he released one before that either independently or on a smaller label. On this live concert video I have of him (shot around the release of Texas Flood) he says "now I'm gonna play something from my 1st album" then he goes into a fast rocking instrumental I never heard before. Anybody have any info. on this?
# 16

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.