The Riddle Thread

dvenetian
dvenetian
05/24/2007 6:17 am
Originally Posted by: dvenetian1) A farmer died and left his 17 cows to be divided between his three sons.
The oldest was to receive 1/2 of the stock
The middle son got 1/3
and the youngest got 1/9
How many cows did each son get?

2) How can you take one away from twenty-nine and end up with thirty?

3) A long street has 100 buildings that are numbered from 1 thru 100.
How many 9's are used in numbering the buildings?

4) A Fruit stand sells apples for $1 each. Each apple is wrapped in a special gold wrapper. You can then trade in 3 gold wrappers for 1 apple. If you had $15 to spend, How many apples can you get altogether?

Sorry Magic..............................
Congrats Earthman... 1,2 and 3 are correct!!!!!! I'm impressed......
Look at your last sentence in #4 and remember 1 apple also awards 1 shiny gold wrapper toward the leftovers.......
These were some of my tougher riddles, or so I thought. I'm gonna have to dig deeper into the vault since you aced three of my four beauties!!!!!!!!!!
Sharp.....;;..
# 1
earthman buck
earthman buck
05/24/2007 3:46 pm
Originally Posted by: dvenetianSorry Magic..............................
Congrats Earthman... 1,2 and 3 are correct!!!!!! I'm impressed......
Look at your last sentence in #4 and remember 1 apple also awards 1 shiny gold wrapper toward the leftovers.......
These were some of my tougher riddles, or so I thought. I'm gonna have to dig deeper into the vault since you aced three of my four beauties!!!!!!!!!!
Sharp.....;;..

Ah yes, I see my mistake now.

There's this game called "MindTrap" that has a ton of riddles like these. For the past month or so I've been grabbing a handful each night and refusing to go to sleep until I solve them. One of these days I'll pick out a few good ones and post 'em.
# 2
dvenetian
dvenetian
05/26/2007 12:31 am
Originally Posted by: earthman buckAh yes, I see my mistake now.

There's this game called "MindTrap" that has a ton of riddles like these. For the past month or so I've been grabbing a handful each night and refusing to go to sleep until I solve them. One of these days I'll pick out a few good ones and post 'em.

Haven't seen the game yet, lookin forward to seeing a few good ones.
In the mean time, here's another.
1) A elementry class celebrates Valentines Day. Every student sends a Valentine to each student in the class for a total of 306 Valentine's.
How many students are in the class?
# 3
earthman buck
earthman buck
05/26/2007 1:29 am
Originally Posted by: dvenetianHaven't seen the game yet, lookin forward to seeing a few good ones.
In the mean time, here's another.
1) A elementry class celebrates Valentines Day. Every student sends a Valentine to each student in the class for a total of 306 Valentine's.
How many students are in the class?

>Eighteen<

Okay, here are a few from MindTrap:

1.) Which number is next in this series, and why?: 10, 4, 3, 11, 15
.........a) 14
.........b) 1
.........c) 17
.........d) 12

2.) There is a certain club which is for men only. There are 600 men who belong to this club and 5% of these men wear one earring. Of the other 95% membership, half wear two earrings and the other half wear none. How many earrings are being worn in this club?

3.) Mr. and Mrs. Clatter have five children. Half of them are boys. How is this possible?

4.) A tree doubled in height each year until it reached its maximum height over the course of ten years. How long did it take for the tree to reach half its maximum height?

5.) If you divide thirty by a half and add ten, what do you get?

6.) Six glasses are in a row. The first three are filled with juice, and the last three are empty. By moving only one glass, how can you arrange them so the glasses alternate between full and empty?

7.) What is the product of the following series?:
.........(X-A)x(X-B)x(X-C)x(X-D).....(X-Z)

8.) What is the next letter in the following sequence?:
.........O T T F F S S

9.) How many cubic meters of dirt are in a hole 6 meters long, 2 meters wide, and 1 meter deep?

10.) Which of the following words does not belong with the others, and why?:
.........Father
.........Aunt
.........Sister
.........Cousin
.........Mother
.........Uncle

11.) Picture a ship at anchor. Over the side there hangs a rope ladder with half meter rungs. The tide rises a half meter per hour. At the end of five hours, how much of the ladder will remain above the water assuming that nine rungs were above the water when the tide began to rise?

12.) A man and a boy who are walking together step out with their right feet. The boy walks three paces while the man walks two. On what step will they both put their left feet forward together?
# 4
dvenetian
dvenetian
05/26/2007 7:14 am
Originally Posted by: earthman buck>Eighteen<
Correct.........

Okay, here are a few from MindTrap:

1.) Which number is next in this series, and why?: 10, 4, 3, 11, 15
.........a) 14
.........b) 1
.........c) 17
.........d) 12

2.) There is a certain club which is for men only. There are 600 men who belong to this club and 5% of these men wear one earring. Of the other 95% membership, half wear two earrings and the other half wear none. How many earrings are being worn in this club?

3.) Mr. and Mrs. Clatter have five children. Half of them are boys. How is this possible?

4.) A tree doubled in height each year until it reached its maximum height over the course of ten years. How long did it take for the tree to reach half its maximum height?

5.) If you divide thirty by a half and add ten, what do you get?

6.) Six glasses are in a row. The first three are filled with juice, and the last three are empty. By moving only one glass, how can you arrange them so the glasses alternate between full and empty?

7.) What is the product of the following series?:
.........(X-A)x(X-B)x(X-C)x(X-D).....(X-Z)

8.) What is the next letter in the following sequence?:
.........O T T F F S S

9.) How many cubic meters of dirt are in a hole 6 meters long, 2 meters wide, and 1 meter deep?

10.) Which of the following words does not belong with the others, and why?:
.........Father
.........Aunt
.........Sister
.........Cousin
.........Mother
.........Uncle

11.) Picture a ship at anchor. Over the side there hangs a rope ladder with half meter rungs. The tide rises a half meter per hour. At the end of five hours, how much of the ladder will remain above the water assuming that nine rungs were above the water when the tide began to rise?

12.) A man and a boy who are walking together step out with their right feet. The boy walks three paces while the man walks two. On what step will they both put their left feet forward together?

1) 1------- 15-1= 14
2) 600 .....it equals out
3) each have 5 children
4) 9 years
5) 70....... 30 div~ .5 = 60 + 10 = 70
6) pour juice from 2nd glass into 5th glass
7) 0
8) E........... 1st letter in Eight
9) 0 .......... it's a hole
10) cousin........ all others state gender
11) all of it........... the boat will rise with tide
12) the next step???????
# 5
earthman buck
earthman buck
05/26/2007 4:58 pm
You got all but three right...

1.) Sorry, wrong. The answer is:Fourteen. By spelling out the name of each number, each word has one more letter than the one before it.<

3.) I should be more specific...they have five children together. Of those, half are boys. How? The answer: They're all boys.<

12.) Wrong. The answer:They never will. Every second cycle their right feet will match up, but never their left.<
# 6
dvenetian
dvenetian
05/27/2007 7:19 am
Originally Posted by: earthman buckYou got all but three right...

1.) Sorry, wrong. The answer is:<

3.) I should be more specific...they have five children together. Of those, half are boys. How? The answer: They're all boys.<

12.) Wrong. The answer:<

I pondered over #1 for some time and all I could find was they equalled the sum of 14 when grouped. The correct answer never dawned on me.

#3 by common sense tells me that 10 children is necessary to fit the quota because no parent has 1/2 boy, but after evaluating, I'm mistaken...

#12 caught the error, it's an odd / even thing.....
Very good, I'll see if I can think up some others.......
# 7

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.