delay pedal

Andrew Sa
Andrew Sa
05/14/2007 1:52 pm
Right, so I took delivery of my new Fulltone Fulldrive 2 (Mosfet) and my Zvex Wah probe the other day, and have decided to take my Line 6 Pod Xt Live out of my effects chain and to get some more nice pedals...they just sound so much better than Boss equivalents.

so, does anyone have any suggestions for a nice delay I may wanna cehck out? I'd really only be interested in a delay with true bypass, as I'd probably be putting it in front of my amp and not in the effects loop, although, maybe I'll put all my modulation and time-based effects in the loop...we'll see.

anyway, any ideas? I tried a Carl Martin Delayla and it was great, but I'd like something a bit more versatile for the money, maybe a Delayla Xl?

I dont know, please, share suggestions

Thanks-Andrew
[FONT=Century Gothic]Hope is when we feel the pain that makes us try again[/FONT]
# 1
ren
ren
05/14/2007 2:16 pm
A lilttle mainstream if you want to go boutique, but I've got a Boss Gigadelay (DD-20) which I'm very happy with... a couple of the features aren't quite what I hoped, but the delay I bought it for is very good... not quite as good as the rack stuff I use, but the best pedal I could find at the time....

Check out my music, video, lessons & backing tracks here![br]https://www.renhimself.com

# 2
Andrew Sa
Andrew Sa
05/14/2007 2:27 pm
I've tried one of them and wasn't all that impressed...I know its snobby and what-not, but I dont want a pedal that does everything decently...I want a pedal that doesn just what I want it to...and does it damn well.
[FONT=Century Gothic]Hope is when we feel the pain that makes us try again[/FONT]
# 3
ren
ren
05/14/2007 3:23 pm
Well, in my opinion you won't get a delay pedal much better than the DD-20 - but then I didn't like the Delayla, so personal preference has a part in this.

If you want to stop messing about, buy a TC electronics G Major. I've had one for years and it's brilliant. I'm about to go for a G system for the midi control and pedal connection options.

What exactly do you want the pedal to do damn well?

Check out my music, video, lessons & backing tracks here![br]https://www.renhimself.com

# 4
Andrew Sa
Andrew Sa
05/14/2007 8:29 pm
well, I was not too fond of the Delayla either, I like it's slappyness,if you understand that, but think it is a bit too abrupt.

I would like something really warm, with that vintage slap-back, but not quite as abrupt as a Delayla...and also, with tap tempo.
# 5
ericthecableguy
ericthecableguy
05/15/2007 12:13 am
Why don't you want it in the effects loops? If you're using amp distortion, do you real want to be distoring repeats?
For life is quite absurd and death's the final word, You must always face the curtain with a bow
Forget about your sin - give the audience a grin
Enjoy it - it's your last chance anyhow.

METOOB
# 6
aschleman
aschleman
05/15/2007 8:51 pm
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Line-6-DL4-Delay-Modeler-Pedal?sku=150380
pretty much all you'll ever need for delay... and it even does 14 second samples/loops.
# 7
Weslaba
My Baby's a Fender!
Weslaba
My Baby's a Fender!
05/15/2007 10:56 pm
Originally Posted by: aschlemanhttp://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Line-6-DL4-Delay-Modeler-Pedal?sku=150380
pretty much all you'll ever need for delay... and it even does 14 second samples/loops.

Joe Bonamassa uses that I believe. If it's the same as what I'm thinking of, you can get a cool strings effect out of it too. I have a Boss DD-3 (so does joe!) which I couldn't be happier with. The delay seems to be what you're looking for, but doesnt have true bypass or tap tempo.
"Gypsy flies from coast to coast, knowing many loving none." -Allmans

SoundClick Page

Myspace Page (Add Me) (I'm better than you... Or am I :eek: )
# 8
PRSplaya
Full Access
PRSplaya
Full Access
05/17/2007 10:42 am
Originally Posted by: renIf you want to stop messing about, buy a TC electronics G Major. I've had one for years and it's brilliant. I'm about to go for a G system for the midi control and pedal connection options.

Wouldn't it be cheaper to keep your G Major and just get a midi pedalboard to control it?

Oh, and I have no suggestions for a delay pedal... I still just use a Boss DD-3, and it works fine for me. :rolleyes:

You might find more of what you're looking for if you check out >this forum<. It's full of the "cork sniffy" type, so I'm sure there's someone there that knows exactly what you're looking for.
[FONT=Palatino Linotype]Tonja Renee's personal instructor[/FONT]

>HERE'S WHERE I AM NOW<
# 9
ren
ren
05/17/2007 11:42 am
Originally Posted by: PRSplayaWouldn't it be cheaper to keep your G Major and just get a midi pedalboard to control it?

yes, but the replacement will enable me to dump the rack I end up hauling around, and will simplify my power requirements as well. Once I find out for sure if the power on the G System is fully isolated, it's the way forward.

The g System looks to be the solution to pretty much all the gear related problems I think I have, but sure, it's not the cheapest.

But back on the question - the line 6 modeller is a nice bit of kit - a mate of mine has one, and he gets some cool stuff out of it - I've never used one myself though...

# 10
Superhuman
Superhuman
05/17/2007 4:07 pm
Originally Posted by: renWell, in my opinion you won't get a delay pedal much better than the DD-20 - but then I didn't like the Delayla, so personal preference has a part in this.

If you want to stop messing about, buy a TC electronics G Major. I've had one for years and it's brilliant. I'm about to go for a G system for the midi control and pedal connection options.

What exactly do you want the pedal to do damn well?

Hey Ren, before you go with the G System I advise checking out the Rocktron Prophesy II - excellent piece of gear, does everything brilliantly.
# 11
PRSplaya
Full Access
PRSplaya
Full Access
05/18/2007 11:46 am
I'd suggest that too, but mainly because I never was happy with the G-Major I had. Don't get me wrong though... it's a great piece of gear, and I loved the fact that it could switch channels on my preamp/amp, but I just couldn't for the life of me coax the tones I wanted out of it. I probably could have if I had spent more time with it, though. :rolleyes:
[FONT=Palatino Linotype]Tonja Renee's personal instructor[/FONT]

>HERE'S WHERE I AM NOW<
# 12
Andrew Sa
Andrew Sa
05/19/2007 8:45 am
Right, so I think I've found a delay pedal I really really like...The Hbe Mimic mk2.

has anyone had any experience with these pedals, I've heard great things.

They are hellishly expensive though...about 239USD.

anyone have any input?
# 13
Andrew Sa
Andrew Sa
05/31/2007 5:34 pm
well, I found and ordered the ultimate delay pedal.

I will soon take delivery of a T-rex Replica, which is just gorgeous, althought at 400USD it had better be.

Can't wait though...I feel poor now.
# 14
Weslaba
My Baby's a Fender!
Weslaba
My Baby's a Fender!
05/31/2007 7:21 pm
T-rex makes quite the pedal. I drool over the alberta..... :rolleyes:
Anyways, hope you like it.
"Gypsy flies from coast to coast, knowing many loving none." -Allmans

SoundClick Page

Myspace Page (Add Me) (I'm better than you... Or am I :eek: )
# 15

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.