Water drainage

earthman buck
earthman buck
05/12/2007 7:35 pm
My dad is always bringing home these crappy busted-up guitars he intends to "fix" but of course never does. Today in our old falling apart shed, I found this classical guitar that had basically nothing wrong with it other than a lack of strings and a couple minor chips that wouldn't come into play at all.

Trouble is, since it was sitting in an old shed with a massive hole in the roof, it had about three inches of water in it. I poured most of it out, but there's still a bit of moisture in there. My dad says to put a hairdryer to it, but that seems to me like the kind of thing that'd warp the wood. How should I go about drying it?
# 1
strat-man
strat-man
05/12/2007 8:21 pm
Leave it somewhere dry, allow it to dry out naturally then check it over, if the wood was properly weathered before the guitar was built it should recover, tho obviously check the neck for bowing and twisting due to the damp conditions it was stored in.
Strat totin
Six string slingin
Son of a gun

I met my maker, i made him cry, and on my shoulder he asked me why, his people won't fly thru the storm, i said, listen here man they don't even know your born.

strat-man rocks with vox
# 2
earthman buck
earthman buck
05/14/2007 3:34 am
Thank you, sir. I did just that and it appeared to work fine. However, there was more damage to the guitar than I initially thought. The neck has been broken and glued back on, and it needs a new bridge. But other than thaaaat.....it seems to be good.
# 3

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.