Tired old fingers

LloydW
LloydW
05/09/2007 10:39 pm
Ive got tired old fingers. Any advice out there. I have developed trigger finger in two fingers on my left hand. Want to know if any one ever heard of this happening from playing the guitar. help me Abby
# 1
hunter60
Humble student
hunter60
Humble student
05/09/2007 11:48 pm
Originally Posted by: LloydWIve got tired old fingers. Any advice out there. I have developed trigger finger in two fingers on my left hand. Want to know if any one ever heard of this happening from playing the guitar. help me Abby

Trigger finger? Not to sound any more stupid than usual, what is that? I'm kind of an old-timer too but I'm not familiar with that one.
[FONT=Tahoma]"All I can do is be me ... whoever that is". Bob Dylan [/FONT]
# 2
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
05/10/2007 1:44 am
Me either. You mean your fingers are moving on their own?
# 3
FingerSpasm
FingerSpasm
05/10/2007 9:32 pm
My mother had trigger finger. Its kinda like Carpel Tunnel Syndrome. Its from repetative motion. She got it from using a computer mouse at work all day long for years and years. Basically it keeps you from being able to straighten your finger out properly. She had surgery and it was repaired.
I think I also read that Andy Aledort (Guitar World) had this and had to have an operation. Its a real problem but it can be fixed. Unfortunately I think it will put your guitar playing on hold for about a year. :( I have been doing lots of stretching and warming up after reading about this kind of stuff. Sean Conklin one of the GT instructors has a story about how he had to give up guitar for a year because of a similar situation and his story is what made me take proper stretching and warm ups seriously. Hope this helps and good luck. Let us know how it goes.
# 4
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
05/11/2007 3:09 am
Hot pockets are kewl too...those hand warmer things. They're great if you play live or if you don't want to wait for your hands to dry off.
# 5
dvenetian
dvenetian
05/11/2007 8:54 am
What causes the stage of Trigger finger is relatively unknown. Speculations go as far as gripping a steering wheel over long periods. It's severity is more common to those with Diabetes and by conditions related with Rheumatoid Arthritis. A Steroid injection (Cortisone) into the Flexor Tendon can bring temporary relief and can even provide a cure for some. For others, surgery is necessary.
Stretching and ice can bring some relief.
Get it checked out, it is curable.
# 6
LloydW
LloydW
05/14/2007 4:08 pm
thanks everyone. I have taken some steps to fix my fingers, and I would like to share some of it. Playing the guitar is important to us all and to do that we need the use of our fingers. First and most important if your hand is in pain and it continues for more that a day or two, GO TO THE DOCTOR. There could be more wrong than a heating pad can cure. I have. Personally I dont go along with doctor, or better said, they are not the end all. One of the things Im going to try is playing the keyboard. I like music, and perhaps this will take some of the stress of my left hand and wrist. Besides I learn something new.
# 7

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.