BIG problem.

ravenx495
ravenx495
05/08/2007 12:41 am
:confused: I've gotta huge problem. I've gotta melodic deathrash band, right? I've been looking like CRAZY for places to play a gig. Dude, no one will let us play. Now I'm ticked off. The problem is I dont wanna become some pop rock band. I wanna stick to my own style. What in the world do I do?
Like a phoenix rising from the flames...

...so shall the epic journey unfold as we discover our ancient future and craft legends through fire and flight.

This is a night of trance...
# 1
hunter60
Humble student
hunter60
Humble student
05/08/2007 1:05 am
Originally Posted by: ravenx495:confused: I've gotta huge problem. I've gotta melodic deathrash band, right? I've been looking like CRAZY for places to play a gig. Dude, no one will let us play. Now I'm ticked off. The problem is I dont wanna become some pop rock band. I wanna stick to my own style. What in the world do I do?

Stay true to what you want to do. Period. Don't change what you want to do to please an audience. It's like writers (ask Jolly, he'll tell you). You write, or in this instance, play, what pleases you. You're audience will find you.

In the interim, play parties. Open mikes. Anything. Get your name out there and get some miles on your band.

Bear in mind, I'm not a musician. I am not in a band. Never have been. But this is old-man experience talking. You start compromising now, and it never ends.
[FONT=Tahoma]"All I can do is be me ... whoever that is". Bob Dylan [/FONT]
# 2
ericthecableguy
ericthecableguy
05/08/2007 1:58 am
Exactly the problem with my band. We got bar gigs...but its not even music i like. Im questioning myself every day about what im giving up. Its not right i know.
For life is quite absurd and death's the final word, You must always face the curtain with a bow
Forget about your sin - give the audience a grin
Enjoy it - it's your last chance anyhow.

METOOB
# 3
elklandercc
Full Access
elklandercc
Full Access
05/08/2007 2:13 am
You've gotta talk to some other local bands that play metal or hardcore and see if you can open for some local shows. You can also ask around and find on of the guys that gets the shows together and ask him that you guys wanna book some gigs. Other than that, you gotta put your **** out there as much as possible for as many people to hear.
"During this line, the kid acted like he was pushing buttons on a calculator in the air. The kid played ******* air-calculator!"

Myspace
# 4
rockonn91
rockonn91
05/09/2007 1:49 am
Yeah, I have the same problem with JK, as we're more of a comedy band than anything, so people dont take us seriously half the time. You really just have to find a band who likes you and bum a gig off of them for awhile untill enough people like you, (or begin to take you seriously in my case) then other bands will want to gig with you and places know you'll bring in a crowd.
JK :cool:

-Agile Guitars Enthusiast
# 5
jiujitsu_jesus
jiujitsu_jesus
05/09/2007 8:48 am
It's like the others have been saying - leave no stone unturned. Bludge opening slots off friendly bands, as Rockonn said; do some research via the internet into the local (or the nearest) metal scene, as Elklander suggested. I don't know whether hard rock/metal music store chains like Hot Topic have billboards for bands etc. over your way, but if so, check them out - somebody may be looking for a band to gig with, and if not, put your own ad up. In places like these, you may also find copies of local/underground music magazines - pick one up and check out the classifieds and show advertisements.

If you've tried numerous avenues and you're not having much success, don't rule out setting up your own gig. It might start with a set at a party, as Hunter said, but you might eventually like to investigate hiring a venue like a community hall and some PA gear - it may mean playing to 15-year-olds, but any start is a good start, and who better than the youth to make an impression on? If you guys are legal, scout around at local bars, especially the hard rock and metal-oriented ones, they sometimes have Open Mike nights, as the others have mentioned. Also sniff around at universities, they're always organising concerts of one form of another, and they usually have a sizeable population of metalheads as well.

If everything still isn't working for you, you can always go down the well-trodden path of recording demo tracks, posting them on Purevolume/Soundclick/Myspace/Unsigned MP3/other/all of the above, and getting noticed that way - if you build up enough of a following, you may be able to guarantee a sizeable audience for your first gig, and you may even get noticed by a metal label.

There are quite a number of other avenues as well, as the others have said, so don't despair :) . Lining up your first gigs is not easy, but it's far from impossible. And, as Hunter said, don't go jumping on any bandwagons that aren't your style - if you play music that reflects your creative muse, you will find an audience sooner or later.
"It's all folk music... I ain't never heard no horse sing!"
- Attributed variously to Leadbelly and Louis Armstrong

If at first you don't succeed, you are obviously not Chuck Norris.

l337iZmz r@wk o.K!!!??>
# 6
HDJ
Explanation: Southerner
HDJ
05/09/2007 6:05 pm
First thing to do is to create a Myspace page if you haven't already. This the is best and easiest way to communicate with other bands in your area. It can also be used as an electronic press kit, which most clubs these days accept...

Put together an actual press kit with a short band bio, cd with at least 3 songs, and a band picture. Get this kit to a booking/promotional company in your area. There are a ton of them out there that has the contacts for booking unsigned bands.

Contacting other local bands for an opening spot is the best way. After you get your foot in the door at the clubs, they will start to recognize you when you contact them for a booking...start at the smaller clubs, your first gig will not be at the largest venue in your area...

Another thing it to never call or e-mail saying "we want to play your club", etc...speak in 3rd person. "These guys bring a hard hitting show" rather than "we bring a hard hitting show". If you don't have a booking agent, act like one and don't act like your actually in the band.......

The key is to stick together and don't give up......It took us about 2 years before we headlined our first show. In the first year, we might have played a show every 2 or 3 months.....It's a slow process...
Check out my band:
Havoc Din
# 7
ravenx495
ravenx495
05/09/2007 9:21 pm
JFrick, youre from SC, so am I. Could you tell me some places you play around the Fort mill, Rock Hill area if any? Maybe even Charlotte?
Like a phoenix rising from the flames...

...so shall the epic journey unfold as we discover our ancient future and craft legends through fire and flight.

This is a night of trance...
# 8
HDJ
HDJ
05/11/2007 3:55 pm
I only know of one club in Rock Hill......The Money. They are taking applications for the 2007 Southeast showcase...
Anyway, here's a list of clubs around the region.

*The Money in Rock Hill, SC
The Handlebar - Greenville, SC
*New Brookland Tavern - Columbia, SC
Headliners - Columbia, SC
*The Art Bar - Columbia, SC
*Roosters Den - Columbia, SC
315 Club - Charlotte, NC
Tremont Music Hall - Charlotte, NC
Amos Southend - Charlotte, NC
*The Milestone - Charlotte, NC
*The Dive Bar - Raleigh, NC
Berkeley Cafe - Raleigh, NC
Jesters Pub - Fayetteville, NC

Clubs marked with * are good clubs to get started with gigs....
Check out my band:
Havoc Din
# 9
HDJ
HDJ
05/11/2007 4:20 pm
I just looked at your profile and realized your 13 years old. You have to be 16-18 to even enter the clubs I listed. Some you have to be 21. New Brookland Tavern in Columbia has a thing on Saturdays where they have an early show and a late show....The early show is always all ages, but the late shows are 18+. Some of the other clubs may have this also, but I'm not sure..
Check out my band:
Havoc Din
# 10
da_ardvark
da_ardvark
05/11/2007 8:15 pm
Actually, I think if he has a legal guardian with him he could get in and play. I seem to recall this, it just protects the clubs, so even if it's not 100% legal they may look the other way. The bigges obstacle is gonna be getting mom or dad to stay up till 3-4AM on gig nights.
# 11

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.