Barring chords

grizzlymint
grizzlymint
05/02/2007 1:13 am
Alright, I've been playing guitar for 2 years now. I know how to play bar chords and have been able to for sometime. However, I can't ever seem to get every string pushed down. I have decent chops. I play everyday. What is wrong with me? Perhaps the action on the guitars I play is too high? I use my thumb on the low E string often but that can be difficult to do at times and I usually get some buzz when I use my thumb.

Any suggestions? Kinda pisses me off. I'm trying to learn Duane Allman's "Little Martha" right now and one chord is giving me hell because its finger picked, so its noticeable if all the strings aren't ringing fully.
Let your soul shine. Its better than sunshine. Its better than moonshine. Damn sure better than rain.
# 1
dvenetian
dvenetian
05/02/2007 5:21 am
Originally Posted by: grizzlymintAlright, I've been playing guitar for 2 years now. I know how to play bar chords and have been able to for sometime. However, I can't ever seem to get every string pushed down. I have decent chops. I play everyday. What is wrong with me? Perhaps the action on the guitars I play is too high? I use my thumb on the low E string often but that can be difficult to do at times and I usually get some buzz when I use my thumb.

Any suggestions? Kinda pisses me off. I'm trying to learn Duane Allman's "Little Martha" right now and one chord is giving me hell because its finger picked, so its noticeable if all the strings aren't ringing fully.

It could be the guitar, What kind do you have? I've noticed big differences in the action and fret settings with some of the more affordable production models in comparison to my Les Paul. If your string setting is descent, try tuning down 1/2 step.
# 2
grizzlymint
grizzlymint
05/02/2007 8:27 pm
I'm figuring it probably is the guitars because all mine are cheapies with a pretty high action. Guess we'll find out for sure once I get my new classical acoustic.
Let your soul shine. Its better than sunshine. Its better than moonshine. Damn sure better than rain.
# 3
ren
ren
05/03/2007 9:26 am
Does it happen everywhere on the neck? Playing a barre F at the first fret is way harder than playing one at the 13th.

Check out my music, video, lessons & backing tracks here![br]https://www.renhimself.com

# 4

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.