Why do we put ourselves through it?

Bardsley
Bardsley
10/05/2001 12:37 pm
So, why is it that everyone here chooses to play the guitar? Is it a need to play music, a desire to be famous, to have fun with friends, what drives you? Because, frankly, it's a helluva lot of work to get good at a guitar, and very few people attain commercial success. I work harder at my guitar than I do at things I get paid for (I very rarely get paid for my playing), but I do it because I think I love it, because I know i couldn't do without it, despite that feeling I always get that guys like Dylan have said it all before, that I have nothing original to contribute to this over-saturated music world we live in. What about everyone else? Do people see it as a hobby, a way of life, a job? How does playing music fit in with your other life?
"Dozens of people spontaneously combust each year, it's just not that widely reported".
# 1
stratgod
stratgod
10/05/2001 12:55 pm
My answer,Bardsley,is this;
I'm 17 and started playing guitar about seven years ago.It was when I first heard a Hank Marvin song,Foot Tapper,that I decided that I wanted to sound and play like that.I started with rhythm guitar and then progressed to the point where I'm an excellent rhythm guitarist and a pretty average lead player.
I don't care about becoming famous,I care about playing music the best I can wether its in a pub playing to 50 people or playing to 50000.I picked up the guitar purely for my love of music and being able to emulate my heroes.
I expect many people followed the same path as me into picking up the guitar.
Anyway, that's my reason,love of music.
"When I was a kid,all I wanted was a red electric guitar.It had to be red,because of Hank and his magical sound." Mark Knopfler on Hank Marvin.
# 2
chris mood
High Bandwidth
chris mood
High Bandwidth
10/05/2001 4:58 pm
As a child I was very much into art (always drawing)
At age 11 I heard a recording of Jimi Hendrix playing the national anthem and was blown away by the potential of creative output the guitar offered. I quickly put away my pencils and picked up the guitar.
When I entered college as a music major I decided to approach playin as a job, and took to practicing 8hrs a day, as well as doing gigs & rehearsals. You don't need to attain commercial success to make a livin in music, there are many ways to make money, you just have to keep an open mind. As long as I am doing something music related i am happy, and thats what drives me.
# 3
Joseph
Joseph
10/15/2001 3:47 am
Would I still write music, or record an album if I knew that no one else would hear it? It's the question of whether or not we make music for ourselves, or to receive endless praise from our peers?

Personally, I could care less on how others feel when it comes to my musical creations, (I mean a little pat on the back doesn't hurt) but that's not my primary intention for constantly pushing mysrelf to the next level. I love creating music, ever since I was a child. I think that those early years in growing up (our natural interests) it kind of shapes us as human beinhgs. I've always had that strong desire to try and understand myself through music. It's a part of wh Iam. And with the guitar, there are so many endless possibilities, something that has attracted me from day one.

Hey, it would be nice if I can make a healthy living as a musician as the years progress, but regardless on whether or not I get that big break, I know (in my heart) that I'll always have that desire to move forward as a musician, in every way possible.

-Joseph
www.ragmagazine.com
"Swoop and soar like the blues angels."
# 4
mc9mm
Guitar Tricks Instructor
mc9mm
Guitar Tricks Instructor
10/15/2001 12:04 pm
I WANT to be famous, Ive got nothing to hide.
I started playing guitar about 4 years ago, and
much like everyone else, I cant live without it.
Its the best thing that has happened to me, its as
simple as that.

Now, I want to be famous.
I mean I really dont care if I dont become famous,
but it would be fun.

Many people always say:
"No I dont want to be famous at all."
But I mean when you think about it:

Imagine lots and lots of people loving your
music, that would be awesome!
And then you get paid for playing guitar!
To me, that is the ultimate dream.

So, why not be famous?
# 5
El Sanchez
El Sanchez
10/17/2001 9:38 pm
I'm with mc9mm, I love the idea of playing music for a living, the idea of getting payed for something I love so much is just incredible. Admittedly, it's very unlikely that I will ever get payed for playing guitar, but someday...
Fame and fortune would also be nice, but I'd settle for being able to scrape a living and maybe afford a treat every now and then.
On the upside, I'm only 16, with 6 years of guitar behind me, I reckon I could make it *Crosses fingers hopefully*

# 6
lalimacefolle
lalimacefolle
10/18/2001 8:09 pm
looks better to play like jimi hendrix with a guitar than a tubaaaa
# 7

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.