View post (Iraq)

View thread

magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator
magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator
04/27/2007 2:59 am
Originally Posted by: Raskolnikov1). By and large, the public doesn't know about those munitions at all.

2). The truth about the WMD issue is that it isn't what either side wants it to be. There were no stockpiles that you could wage a chemical or biological offensive with nor indications that Iraq was actively manufacturing any WMDs, but there's too much evidence indicating that Saddam planned to reconstitute his WMD programs after the end of UN sanctions to ignore the long-term threat to regional security he presented.

As with anything, the truth is far more complicated than anybody would care to suggest and most people only hear what they want to believe. Anti-war and Anti-Bush people are never going to see a viable reason to go war with Iraq, end of story.

"Democracy" is not enough of a reason, I will readily concede that.

However, "Democracy" is not the only reason and never was. There was a huge laundry list of reasons to invade Iraq and most of them we had every reason to believe to be true.

Iraq under Saddam Hussein was a long term strategic threat to the region that was only getting worse and worse as years passed – either by his regime's eventual collapse or by its survival and eventual rearmament. Due to the number of allies we have in the surrounding area, a threat like that can't be ignored. Not if you intend to live up to the treaties you sign and not if you intend to be a responsible global citizen.

I don't know about you, but personally I'm not for another "Food for Sex" scandal.

Well the WMD situation is what it is. I feel lied to. I don't like war, who does? I would however be all for a necessary war with truthful reasons. I would even be all for it if the president came came on TV and said "Hey we're out of oil and have no choice but to go take a few countries over." That wouldn't bother me. I'd feel bad that it had to end that way but hey, self preservation right?

As for strapping up a gun and strutting around someone else's country to solve someone else's problems? Nah, I can't stand behind that. I don't care who hates who over there. Let them settle it themselves. They've been going at it for thousands of years over there. I don't really expect that anything we do is gonna ever change that. I'd much rather we sat at a table and helped them work it out rather than using our manpower to decide who wins. At least that way we wouldn't have made so many enemies ourselves.
Magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator

"If it feels right, play it. If it feels wrong, play it faster” - Magicninja
www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons