View post (a good ol' love song)

View thread

Drew77
Drew77
05/08/2007 1:22 am
Well in my opinion songs don't have to rhyme at all, infact I generally find it annoying and cliched when songs have too much rhyming or a rhyme scheme or something lame like that. Repeating consenant sounds and flow are MUCH more important than rhyming, rhyming is just a cheap way to achieve those. Why restrict yourself to some old tired pattern and there can only be so many songs about "love" that rhyme. Who cares about rhyme, it's good to step outside the realm of convention (even though I wouldn't exactly consider doing away with rhyme schemes as stepping to far out of convention considering it isn't like it's "edgy" anymore).

Find your own voice, and if that voice ends up being some tired cliche then at least you know what not to do or maybe thats ok with you. Most people like familiar things, they like what we all know (like rhyming) new things scare them, so if your writing to sell songs or some stupid thing like that then by all means rework every idea you have ever had so that it rhymes. Why do you think you can hum along with pretty much any pop song with in the first five seconds of hearing it? We all know how it goes before we have even heard it.

Write something that scares the crap outta people. A lot of zappa's songs STILL scare the crap out of people and it's been twenty years since he wrote a song. I know people who can't even listen to his stuff cause it makes them so uncomfortable, it's great. People will try to tell you that there is something wrong with you if your music does this but the problem is with them.

Anyways that was my rant on being original and not listening to people, even me. Do what you want. If you find something that really strikes deep with people, negatively or otherwise explore it. But thats not to say you should make music for the purpose of hurting others. Unless of course thats what you want to do. But generally in my opinion writers write to get a specific response from specific people, blind firing isn't exactly good, or classy writing.

Just my two cents.