View post (Instrument For Songwriting?)

View thread

educatedfilm
educatedfilm
10/04/2001 8:29 am
Hopefully, I'm going to get my self a keyboard... I've tried teaching my self how to play piano, but i don't have acsess to one at home. It's a pretty cool intrument, but one of my DANCE music obsessed (which is ok, considering he's now signed to the UXB record lable, his little group is called "Connective Zone" if your intrested... why am i talking about this? oh yeah) has got some really really really cool keyboards, ones where you can playabout with the wave shapes, and managed to get some cool sounds out of it (there are some programmes that do this on PC, but i dont have a midi keyboard).
My only problem with piano is that, sylistically, it's too communist an instrument. There's no bias towards certain styles in the same way as you have on guitar, like for example you can't play certain chords on the lower fretts, as you cant stretch you're fingers far enough, but if you move it up to the 12th frett, you can, because of the smaller frett spacings. You dont really have this on keyboard/ piano...
My other problem, is the rich kids who's parents put in alot of time and money for lessons, learn to play, but ask 'em to improvise or compose they fall flat on their arse. I mean they treat the intrument like a type writter (look at paper, and then press the corisponding button type of way), than really like an instrument... i'm probably just jelous that i wasn't given the oppertunity...

[Edited by educatedfilm on 10-04-2001 at 04:37 AM]