Jolly asks for your help on Music Theory Terms! (beginner to advanced)

Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
04/17/2007 4:20 pm
Hey guys, I'm completely submerged in work right now for various literature courses, and, while I love literature, I feel like I've abandoned my music theory post. Recently, Ninja sent me a pm wondering about the possibility of making a list of music theory terms, and I thought it'd be a great idea. I'll organize the list myself, and make this into a sticky. All I ask is that you PM me the terms you think of which I haven't covered. Feel free to send any term you think up, I'll double-check the definition (no offense, I'm just a stickler for agreement when definition is concerned. That kind of agreement is paramount to communicating effectively on music theory), and then post it in the sticky. Thanks guys! I'll do a few to get it started, but at the moment I don't think I have time to do too many.
I want the bomb
I want the P-funk!

My band is better than yours...
# 1
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
04/17/2007 4:27 pm
A-

A Capella- Without instrumental accompaniment

Adagio- A slow tempo, often used to describe entire movements (the second movement of a sonata is typically a slower pace such as adagio). Lit. "in a leisurely manner."

Allegro- A rapid tempo.

Andante- Moderately slow and even tempo. Faster than Adagio, slower than Allegro.

Arpeggio- The sounding of a chord's individual notes in succession
I want the bomb
I want the P-funk!

My band is better than yours...
# 2

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.