View post (Liberal/Conservative, Freedom of Speech, etc...)

View thread

hunter60
Humble student
hunter60
Humble student
04/14/2007 12:13 am
Originally Posted by: grizzlymintI don't blame this on the government at all. It really has nothing to do with government. What Don Imus said was uncalled for, however, he has his First Amendment right to say whatever he feels. However, as soon as you're employed and speak your mind on the radio, if you say what your employer doesn't like or thinks its bad for the company, you're gonna get your ass canned . Simple as that. Were his rights infringed on? No. He just got fired from a radio job for saying something stupid. He didn't get sanctioned by the FCC, he pissed off the black community and a lot of other people.

That being said, the uproar over this is absolutely ridiculous. Double standards are a bitch ain't they? To paraphrase Bill Cosby, "we've gotta stop calling each other *n word* if you don't want to be called the n word."

Thats all I gotta say about this.

Agree. This was not a government action. This was the gutless management at CBS Radio who reacted to the loss of advertisers who reacted to a threat of a boycott. The threat of a boycott was made by a handful of media clowns who claim advocacy and a belief that they are trying to bring the races together. With this sort of nonsense, it drives a deeper wedge. I agree that Imus said something stupid. Incredibly stupid. Especially for someone in the business for 40 years. My question is; what was the damage to the girls he was speaking of? Seriously. What were their damages? IF you do not like what someone says and IF you find some thing offensive, STOP LISTENING. If it bugs you, avoid it. Don't make an issue out of hurt feelings.

This really, really bugs me.

But yes, you're right. The government had nothing to do with this. This was society reacting.
[FONT=Tahoma]"All I can do is be me ... whoever that is". Bob Dylan [/FONT]