View post (Liberal/Conservative, Freedom of Speech, etc...)

View thread

hunter60
Humble student
hunter60
Humble student
04/13/2007 11:23 am
Originally Posted by: earthman buckYeah, I mean his job is to piss people off.

I hate to seem like some sort of dick or something, but I was on Michael Richards' side too with his whole thing. His first crack at the hecklers did make me laugh, he just took it too far.

I don't get how anyone can get upset over words. I really don't. If some black guys called me a cracker or honky faggot or something, I'd just shrug it off. And, you know, laugh. Because "honky faggot" is a hilarious thing to be called.

This is waaaaay beyond what some un-funny old dude said on the radio. This is the first round of what is going to become an old-fashioned knock-down, drag out fight on the First Amendment. There is nothing in the Constitution protecting anyone from having their feelings hurt. This is all about Free Speech. Hip-Hop and Rap are next. The films.Then books. And then....? Who knows. I will tell you this, be very, very vigilant.
These uber-right wing lunatics and politicial militants are gunning for your basic rights and freedoms.

Look, I've never thought Imus was funny. What he said was stupid and should never have been said. He knows that. With a 40 year career in radio, he's smart enough to have avoided this situation. But he apologized. I think he really does feel sorrow for what he said. He apologized to the team. What more? Suspend him - fine. But to fire him? So does that mean that we can expect that any time you say something that anyone else finds troubling or offensive that you can lose your livlihood?

I am a big believer and supporter of civil rights. But this is something way beyond civil rights. This is purely political. Either all speech is protected or none of it is.

Watch your back kids. This is just the opening salvo. :(
[FONT=Tahoma]"All I can do is be me ... whoever that is". Bob Dylan [/FONT]