Eric Johnson

grizzlymint
grizzlymint
04/12/2007 1:05 am
From what I've heard, Johnson is the most versatile guitar player out there. He can stand up there and jam out to "My Guitar Wants To Kill Your Mama" with Vai and Satch, write fast paced pieces like "Cliffs of Dover", play mellow songs like "Manhattan", and some ridiculously complex classical guitar pieces like "A Song For Life" on the Masters of Acoustic Guitar Album. I saw him play with Satch last year, and I'd have to say, Eric is just as impressive as Joe himself.

Threads like this are pretty generic, but this guy never ceases to amaze me.
Let your soul shine. Its better than sunshine. Its better than moonshine. Damn sure better than rain.
# 1
jiujitsu_jesus
jiujitsu_jesus
04/12/2007 7:57 am
Haven't heard a great deal of Mr. Johnson, but what I have heard is quite impressive indeed. He certainly knows how to put fire into the blues. The leader of my uni guitar ensemble sounds a bit like him.
"It's all folk music... I ain't never heard no horse sing!"
- Attributed variously to Leadbelly and Louis Armstrong

If at first you don't succeed, you are obviously not Chuck Norris.

l337iZmz r@wk o.K!!!??>
# 2
ren
ren
04/12/2007 2:12 pm
yeah, and the guy is legendary for his pursuit of tone... reckons he can tell what brand of batteries are in a pedal from the changes in sound.... (!)

'Ah Via Musicom' has got some blinding stuff on it. Have you seen him on the G3 DVD with his massive headphones? looks like such a nerd, but the guy can play. I still think Satch/Vai kick his ass though...

Check out my music, video, lessons & backing tracks here![br]https://www.renhimself.com

# 3
grizzlymint
grizzlymint
04/12/2007 5:07 pm
Originally Posted by: renyeah, and the guy is legendary for his pursuit of tone... reckons he can tell what brand of batteries are in a pedal from the changes in sound.... (!)

'Ah Via Musicom' has got some blinding stuff on it. Have you seen him on the G3 DVD with his massive headphones? looks like such a nerd, but the guy can play. I still think Satch/Vai kick his ass though...

Yeah, those massive headphones gotta go. But he obviously doesn't care. In all honesty, I don't even see why he tours with Satch and Vai. He's so different.
Let your soul shine. Its better than sunshine. Its better than moonshine. Damn sure better than rain.
# 4
aschleman
aschleman
04/12/2007 5:28 pm
His marriage failed because he was so OCD about everything... and that follows him into the studio and his search for tone... It took him and Fender almost 10 years to make his Signature Strat because he either wouldn't agree on it or kept making changes to it...

In the studio, he will scrap whole tracks if one of his cables is slightly twisted in a way that might compromise his tone... He records everything clean, then adds distortion... The guy is crazy pretty much.

He's a hell of a guitar player though... and he plays Strats so of course I like him... I don't listen to a lot of his stuff though.
# 5
da_ardvark
da_ardvark
04/12/2007 6:46 pm
I saw him live a coupla years ago in Charleston WV on the locally produced radio show call Mountain Stage. It was agesome. Just him playing acoustic. He's also quite an accomplished piano player. He played several piano tunes that night.
# 6
Randy Johnson
Randy Johnson
04/13/2007 12:32 am
Eric is awesome.....he already is awesome and just keeps looking for more ways to get better.
# 7

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.