Hard Drive Question

Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
04/11/2007 12:27 pm
For anybody who knows how hard drives work.

I just got a 300gb drive to replace a couple of older 80gb drives.
I'm transferring all the files over to the new drive.
Why is it, that the sizes of the files and folders are different when you compare them.

For instance:

On my old drive I've got a synth folder with...
"139.2MB (145,754,472 bytes) for 131 items"

On the new drive it reads as ...
"139.7MB (145,754,472 bytes) for 131 items"

Why is there .5 more megabytes taken up on the new drive when it's exactly the same size and amount of files that I copied over?
# 1
Scotttaylor72
Scotttaylor72
04/11/2007 12:46 pm
Are the drives formatted both the same (NTFS/FAT32)?
# 2
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
04/11/2007 1:25 pm
Yep. It's a Mac so they're all formatted as OS Extended... whatever that means. It's weird. Some files are identical in size. Others have shrunk or expanded in size as much as 20MB or more. I've double checked and nothing's missing.
# 3
ren
ren
04/11/2007 2:11 pm
Notice that the byte counts are exactly the same, it's only the conversion to megabytes that has changed.

For whatever reason, some manufacturers go for 1000 bytes in a kilobyte, then 1000kb for a megabyte. It should be 1024 to be technically correct. Based on the byte counts, neither of the roundings into mb are correct... it should be 139mb plus a handful...

I wouldn't worry - I've seen it quite alot over the years, although I don't know alot about macs....

Check out my music, video, lessons & backing tracks here![br]https://www.renhimself.com

# 4
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
04/11/2007 4:56 pm
man... I just screwed up royally & lost about 60GB worth of loops & about half my MP3 collection. ..went to check all the files I'd just finished copying, and three folders are totally empty.
I reformatted the old drive and destroyed the old files so I've got no backup either.
Now I've gotta try and copy what's left back to the original drive so I can reformat it into partitions, then copy everything back again.
Blah..
# 5
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
04/11/2007 9:31 pm
Guess it wasn't my fault after all. The whole drive just failed.
Won't mount or initialize. Norton DiskDoctor can't fix it and even the files I just copied back to the old drive have disappeared.
Thanks for the help anyways :)
# 6
Tonja_Renee
Official PRSplaya Groupie
Tonja_Renee
Official PRSplaya Groupie
04/12/2007 4:44 pm
Originally Posted by: AkiraI love happy endings. :)

That doesn't seem like a very happy ending to me??? Kinda of sucks if you ask me.. I have had my hard drive fail - and its not fun at all.

But now that I think about it, you are probably being sarcastic and I didn't pick up on it.. I'm slow that way..lol :o
Great works are performed, not by strength, but by perseverance.
# 7
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
04/12/2007 6:07 pm
yeah, definitely a sucky ending. 3 months worth of work down the tubes. All our lovely loops sorted out by BPM are gone. I was lucky my engineer guy backed up all the .wav files or it'd be 3 years worth of work gone.

Ya transfer 100GB worth of files onto the disk.
Check and double check to make sure everything was copied correctly.
Then you restart and all your files are gone except for a few stragglers that survived. Then you've gotta save those back to another hard drive before you restart or those disappear too. Last but not least, the drive refuses to work and absolutely nothing will fix it.
I tried everything... Norton, Apple, Intech, DiskWarrior ... and the best I could do is use the Apple system software to get a small 32GB partition working. The rest of the drive is trashed.
# 8
DA-M0
DA-M0
04/12/2007 6:27 pm
the best way is to get them done 1 by 1, then instal a operating ststem like XP on that 1, then if u can't get 'ubuntu' feisty fox is the latest release, (it is a live linux that u boot from ur cd drive) and use 'Gparted' 'live cd' partitioner. ;)

thx

DA-M0
# 9
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
04/12/2007 7:11 pm
One by one would be great, but when there's 40,000 files ya got no choice but to copy them in batches.
I'm gonna have to look into some kind of automated backup system that double checks things automatically or something. It literally took since last Friday just to back up files and install one drive. I figured all I'd have to do is switch it out, copy all the files and presto. Suprised the hell out of me when half the files didn't finish copying.
# 10
Leedogg
Grizzled Veteran
Leedogg
Grizzled Veteran
04/12/2007 7:29 pm
Schmange, you may want to look into setting up a RAID array if you're working with sensitive data that you want to stick around.
Blues is easy to play, but hard to feel.
My YouTube Profile
# 11
Fret spider
Fret spider
04/12/2007 8:00 pm
Originally Posted by: LeedoggSchmange, you may want to look into setting up a RAID array if you're working with sensitive data that you want to stick around.

correct me if im wrong but doesnt RAID speed up your pc by storing half the information for each file on two or more hard drives. this makes it faster to recall as it can take a bit from each hard drive. therby making each hard drive have to transfer lesss data. i thought this just speeded up your pc.

i was told the only drawback is if one hard drvie fails so does the other one. therefore if your really worried about not loosing data raid isnt really what you want. sayin that harddrives dont often fail so its not to much of a concern.

i might get raid, but it will be in a while, at moment i got two harddrives but they are different eg no raid. i have one faster one which has got windows and those types of thing on it. and a larger one that just for storage. eg music work videos. the system works well for me.
# 12
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
04/12/2007 8:22 pm
Originally Posted by: LeedoggSchmange, you may want to look into setting up a RAID array if you're working with sensitive data that you want to stick around.

hmm... looks like a possible solution. Thanks!
This is the first time I've heard of it (just reading about it at Wikipedia).
It'd be nice to have one huge place where I could just keep all the files and never have to worry about them.

One concern is disc fragmentation with audio files. I'm constantly running into problems with older master recordings being ruined because they got fragmented.
I find that after heavy use in Cubase, the CPU and Drive indicators start getting overloaded. It finally gets to the point where I have to drag an entire folder for a song (like 5GB) onto a different drive, reformat the original and then copy it back.
You can't degragment or optimize because it destroys audio files in the process.

Another concern is if it will actually work with an audio application like Cubase. I know if I manually move files around, Cubase can't find them later and takes hours of scanning the hard drives looking for each track individually. (really stupid because it literally searches every file on every hard drive for each track and takes like 20 minutes per track while locking up the computer in the meantime)
# 13
Leedogg
Grizzled Veteran
Leedogg
Grizzled Veteran
04/13/2007 2:18 pm
Originally Posted by: Fret spidercorrect me if im wrong but doesnt RAID speed up your pc by storing half the information for each file on two or more hard drives. this makes it faster to recall as it can take a bit from each hard drive. therby making each hard drive have to transfer lesss data. i thought this just speeded up your pc.

i was told the only drawback is if one hard drvie fails so does the other one. therefore if your really worried about not loosing data raid isnt really what you want. sayin that harddrives dont often fail so its not to much of a concern.

i might get raid, but it will be in a while, at moment i got two harddrives but they are different eg no raid. i have one faster one which has got windows and those types of thing on it. and a larger one that just for storage. eg music work videos. the system works well for me.

You're describing RAID 0, which is used (as you mentioned) for enhanced performance, and you're correct, if one drive fails, the whole array goes down. Raid 1 however, provides data redundancy so that if one drive fails, you still have 1 (or many) backups of your data.
Blues is easy to play, but hard to feel.
My YouTube Profile
# 14
Fret spider
Fret spider
04/13/2007 3:21 pm
Originally Posted by: LeedoggYou're describing RAID 0, which is used (as you mentioned) for enhanced performance, and you're correct, if one drive fails, the whole array goes down. Raid 1 however, provides data redundancy so that if one drive fails, you still have 1 (or many) backups of your data.

ok cool. your obviosly more knoledgable than me. thankx for the correction its always good to learn stuff. :)
# 15

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.