Feedback needed.

equator
equator
04/09/2007 9:56 pm
Hey folks.
Sometimes I like to record a couple chords, and then I practice my scales, timing and so on, you know …instead of using a metronome.
So, I made a three chord progression, and came up with this track.
Anyway, let me know what you think of it.

Lydian Phrases

Backing programmed in FL Studio 6.
Fender Stratocaster guitar, throu RP 80.
Direct to laptop.
Some reverb and EQ added at time of mixing.
Someday I`ll play like in my dreams.

equator's Music Page.

# 1
Julian Vickers
Julian Vickers
04/09/2007 11:02 pm
I'm not sure what it is, but the track just has no forward motion to it, it seems to just be plodding along. I'm sure it's something to do with the drum/backing track, it just isn't that groovy.

That aside, your guitar playing is nice and clean, could do with more vibrato in some bits though.

I use FL studio too and getting a really groovy backing track with it takes some effort. I've been making drum beats with a bit of shuffle recently (instant groovyness! sorta)
Miracle Blade 4: Gibs on touch.
# 2
equator
equator
04/09/2007 11:11 pm
Originally Posted by: Julian VickersI'm not sure what it is, but the track just has no forward motion to it, it seems to just be plodding along. I'm sure it's something to do with the drum/backing track, it just isn't that groovy.

That aside, your guitar playing is nice and clean, could do with more vibrato in some bits though.

I use FL studio too and getting a really groovy backing track with it takes some effort. I've been making drum beats with a bit of shuffle recently (instant groovyness! sorta)

Thanks for your input.
Yeah, I agree. The backing is not groovy at all. I am new to programming, so, its gonna take me a while.
Any advice on improving my programming?

equator's Music Page.

# 3
Julian Vickers
Julian Vickers
04/09/2007 11:26 pm
Yeah generally the first thing I do is find a drum beat that I think is pretty sweet then I try to emulate it in FL Studio. Just yesterday I tried to recreate the drum beat from T.B.D by Live.

here's an amateur music video for it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QjmTSm9A680

I use the FPC drum samples in fruityloops a lot. They have most of the sounds that I need, except for a good shaker sound and a hihat closing with the pedal.
It's just a matter of listening to the drum track you want over and over and slowly recreating it on the sequencer.
Miracle Blade 4: Gibs on touch.
# 4
equator
equator
04/09/2007 11:30 pm
Alright. Thanks Julian. :cool:

equator's Music Page.

# 5
FingerSpasm
FingerSpasm
04/10/2007 1:00 am
I thought it sounded pretty cool...did you do the solo in one take or did you do several small parts and then put them together with the software? The reason I ask is because I have just started recording and I am playing around with doing small guitar parts and then trying to link them together. Anyway nice unusual piece of music. :)
# 6
equator
equator
04/11/2007 8:28 pm
Thanks FingerSpasm. I’m glad you liked my tune.
When you are recording something, you can do it in one take, or you can record small parts at the time, and then put them together; it’s up to you.

If you wanna record in small pieces, I suggest you loop a selection, and play your lines over and over, until you feel comfortable, and then go ahead and record your licks.
One of the difficult things, is to nail the changes of chords, for that reason I loop four bars (assuming the chord lasts 4 bars) plus one bar of the new chord.
I hope this helps a little.

equator's Music Page.

# 7

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.