View post (Drum Tracks ???)

View thread

Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
04/06/2007 5:37 am
Ok, further info on this.
You can get drum loops from just about any source on the net. PLP Loops is a decent one at a great price (plus they're doing a deal with me to feature my own stuff :)

Basically, if you haven't worked with loops before... you download a bunch of em that can be anything from straight drum loops, to just percussion, bass loops, guitar loops, or combo loops with several instruments.

What i do to make loops for myself is play a midi file of a couple of chords like "A and B". Then run that through a dozen different synths. Then I use a drum machine called Battery and and randomly come up with a ton of different patterns.
I load about 120 tracks up with various different variations of sounds.
then I go though and mix and match them. ie, mixing drum loops with the synth loops, then adding the drums and bass etc...,

Then I divide them up so you can take each individual loop and build your own song.

The possiblilties are endless cause even with just a couple of chords, you can come up with hundreds of different styles.

I've upload a zip file of about a dozen examples here:

http://s9374450.onlinehome.us/SchmangeOnline/schmangeloops.zip

**note: if the link doesn't work just PM me and I'll send you a proper link.
for some reason I can't get the above link to work**

From these, I'll usually load them into ReCycle so I can splice them up and adjust the tempo.
Basically... it's the same two chords played on a guitar synth, then run through a dozen different synths like Absynth, Pro53, B4, MoogModular, Plex, X-Phrase etc.. then backed up with Battery for drum loops. Then guitar added.... then I break them down into individual tracks so you can build your own songs. These ones are at 95bpm, but with ReCycle you can adjust that up or down as you see fit.

I guess the thing to notice here is that even with just a couple of chords, you can get all kinds of atmospheric styles. Now all you have to do is add lyrics and a vocals. Then expand them into full songs.

The end result here for me is to come up with several dozen loop CD's in different tempos and then offer them for sale online to places like PLP as well as my own site.

A lot of major studios use this stuff to expand on their recordings so it's kinda suprising to suddenly hear your own guitar playing in a Gwen Stephanie or Spears song. (kinda suprising too cause it's like " hey.... that sounds like my song!!)