View post (Punk Chord Progressions)

View thread

MarcusWiesner
MarcusWiesner
05/03/2011 6:28 pm
Originally Posted by: LisaMarie777I'm new here and was so excited to see the Music Theory section, and then, to see a thread about Punk Rock Chord Progressions :)

I've started to dabble a bit in playing punk, so this is helpful to me. I sometimes like the Barre chords' sound better than the power chords, but it depends on the song, I suppose?

Seems like there is a lot of songs I've played with D, A, Bm, and G, but I'm still new to playing the genre.

Oh yeah, for the necropost, that's cool! ten years ago, that's crazy. seriously the necropost of a decade lol! awesome.

All of those chords are in the E minor scale, sort of. The tradition of playing power chords in punk is a strong one, but they do use bar chords. A common technique used in punk is to play a bar chord and then drop your pointer finger off of the lowest string in a rhythmic fashion. You will hear that this is the main hook technique used throughout Nevermind the Bollocks Here's the Sex Pistols to give it the punk's version of a "groovy" feel.

Now that I think about it and haven't revisited that album in a while, I think now that I am better I will take an afternoon to tab out the whole album sometime soon. Just for practice and fun ;)

- The main strumming pattern of punk is all downstrokes as fast as you can and occasionally change it up slightly by strumming up and down as fast as you can like a madman.

There are some different punk bands out there besides the Sex Pistols and you know, like Green Day and others. This is a great band that I love, NoMeansNo, and I'd like to contribute their music to this thread. They are an influence and if I made strictly punk music I'd try to make it like this. they use more complex rhythms, I'm sure you can learn machine, just try to find the notes on your guitar while listening to it:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J6RP4w1CzD8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e06oPTclIu8
Happy playing