Dio with Vivian Campbell

FingerSpasm
FingerSpasm
03/31/2007 2:54 pm
Any Dio / Vivian Campbell fans out there? I can remember walking around the record shop looking for something new that really rocked because I had been wearing out my Iron Maiden collection when suddenly one of the persons working there put on Dio Holy Diver. It had just been released and it was an LP. I stopped in my tracks and just stood there listening to it in amazement. Vivian Campbell with Dio was just an incredible match. I never really followed Dio once Vivian was booted from the band. I was told that Dio wanted less guitar so more attention would be paid to his singing. Anyway I never really hear much from other guitar players about Vivian. What do you guys think? Any Vivian Campbell fans out there?
# 1
PlatonicShred
PlatonicShred
03/31/2007 5:32 pm
Originally Posted by: FingerSpasmAny Dio / Vivian Campbell fans out there? I can remember walking around the record shop looking for something new that really rocked because I had been wearing out my Iron Maiden collection when suddenly one of the persons working there put on Dio Holy Diver. It had just been released and it was an LP. I stopped in my tracks and just stood there listening to it in amazement. Vivian Campbell with Dio was just an incredible match. I never really followed Dio once Vivian was booted from the band. I was told that Dio wanted less guitar so more attention would be paid to his singing. Anyway I never really hear much from other guitar players about Vivian. What do you guys think? Any Vivian Campbell fans out there?

Ummm....yeah!!

Vivian Campbell's great! Had his own uptempo post-EVH style going that was pretty cool. I think you should read the article they wrote about him at dinosaurrockguitar.com, because that really sums up my thoughts on him as well. It's so sad to see that he's taken a backseat to PHIL COLLEN, of all people! You have this great guitarist playing second fiddle to a sloppy hack!
Back In Black isn't a song. It's a divine call that gets channeled through five righteous dudes every thousand years or so. That's why dragons and sea monsters don't exist anymore.
# 2
FingerSpasm
FingerSpasm
04/01/2007 12:55 am
Originally Posted by: PlatonicShredUmmm....yeah!!

Vivian Campbell's great! Had his own uptempo post-EVH style going that was pretty cool. I think you should read the article they wrote about him at dinosaurrockguitar.com, because that really sums up my thoughts on him as well. It's so sad to see that he's taken a backseat to PHIL COLLEN, of all people! You have this great guitarist playing second fiddle to a sloppy hack!

I was just talking to my friend about that yesterday and he made the comment that when he had seen them play together that he noticed Phil Collen's chops had improved quite a bit. Funny how that works. I meant to ask him if Phil did any pinched harmonics! Vivian always new were to throw those in.
Went and read the article you talked about. Very good. Cool site. I will be reading more articles at that site. I did not check and see if they had anything on Jake E. Lee. I love Bark at the Moon. That whole song rocks.
# 3
PlatonicShred
PlatonicShred
04/01/2007 2:37 am
I hope Mr. Collen's chops have improved! It's not so much that I think guitar solos all need to be fast/displays of virtuosity--it's just that, I mean, if you're going to play fast--do it right. I'll search out new Def Leopard stuff. Hope I'm blown away.

They have like everyone there---Jake included. Some of the profiles I think can be a little unfair--usually the ones from Dinosaur Dave--but that's probably due to a difference in what me and him consider as 'good melodic sense, etc.'
Back In Black isn't a song. It's a divine call that gets channeled through five righteous dudes every thousand years or so. That's why dragons and sea monsters don't exist anymore.
# 4
DAMAGED ONE
DAMAGED ONE
04/03/2007 1:45 pm
Originally Posted by: PlatonicShredI hope Mr. Collen's chops have improved! It's not so much that I think guitar solos all need to be fast/displays of virtuosity--it's just that, I mean, if you're going to play fast--do it right. I'll search out new Def Leopard stuff. Hope I'm blown away.
Well good luck I think Def Leppard all but forgot about guitars you know with all the keyboard stuff THEY ARE SOFT NOW (Crap) Remember High and Dry Guys Bring back the Guitars.
The Mind Is A Terrible Think To Waste.
# 5
Tevis Maloney
Tevis Maloney
04/10/2007 2:29 am
Vivian Cambell is a darn good guitarist. I love the stuff he did with Dio. I haven't heard any of the Def Leppard that he plays on. Any good?
# 6

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.