Strat Pickup Identification

ericthecableguy
ericthecableguy
03/31/2007 1:18 pm
Helooo.

So, Im fixing an old guitar (nothing fancy) and ordered a set of used pickups from a mim strat, I think they're almost brand new.

The problem is, buddy never labelled them.

So...one pickup has a black and a yellow wire, and (if this matters) the magnet sticks two the other two pickkups, while the other two repel eachother.

All the wires are the same length.

Is there some way to decide what goes where?

Thanks for replies.

Eric
For life is quite absurd and death's the final word, You must always face the curtain with a bow
Forget about your sin - give the audience a grin
Enjoy it - it's your last chance anyhow.

METOOB
# 1
aschleman
aschleman
03/31/2007 5:05 pm
The two that repell each other are either the neck or the bridge pickups. The one that sticks to the others is the middle. This is because strats use opposite polarity pickups in the middle to create that hum cancelling humbucker type sound when the bridge and middle... or neck and middle pickups are selected...

As for which is the bridge and which is the neck... it's probably not going to matter too much because MIM strat pickups are pretty even with their output... I'd say wire it up and try it out and if you think it doesn't sound right just try it the other way... Chances are there isn't too much difference in the output between the bridge and the neck pickup though... the bridge is usually just slightly higher output.
# 2
ericthecableguy
ericthecableguy
03/31/2007 5:58 pm
Thanks so much bro.

Exactly what i needed to know. :)
For life is quite absurd and death's the final word, You must always face the curtain with a bow
Forget about your sin - give the audience a grin
Enjoy it - it's your last chance anyhow.

METOOB
# 3
aschleman
aschleman
03/31/2007 7:37 pm
Anytime bro.
# 4

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.