View post (Timing)

View thread

PlatonicShred
PlatonicShred
03/31/2007 12:05 pm
Originally Posted by: FingerSpasmI have not heard of Theodore Zirgas but I will have to check it out. I just watched a video on Guitar One of Frank Gambale Sweep picking. Pretty insane. On another note I tried out one of Benoits speed picking drills using the metronome like you suggested 4 picks for every beat. It worked really well and I had to work a little harder on the timing. I am still working on getting it down with scales. But this seems like it is going to get me to the next level.

Fantastic!

Gambale is pretty awesome. He's a master of economy picking. Also, pay attention to your right hand and forearm as well and really get a good idea of what way of picking suits you.

There's no real right way of doing it, either.

Some do it from the elbow, some--like Petrucci--twist their forearm, some use just their wrists, and still others use their fingers alone for the motion. But yeah, work that out early as well. Right hand efficiency is very important! Without it you can't do, IMO, the coolest solo-trick of them all---switch back and forth seamlessly in the middle of a phrase between legato and alternate picked. It almost sounds like you're accompanying yourself.

And, this is what some people have told me works pretty well, at those slow tempos---just try and play a piece of music you hear in your head. Think of a line, then try to recreate it on the guitar. If you can't do this at the same tempo that you can play sixteenths at, then slow down the metronome to wherever it is you can do it. Improvise at this tempo until you can play instantly what you hear in your head to perfection---then increase the metronome's speed.

I'm just starting out trying the approach I just mentioned to you---and it's pretty hardcore. Like always, these are just little bits that helped me, maybe they'll work for you.
Back In Black isn't a song. It's a divine call that gets channeled through five righteous dudes every thousand years or so. That's why dragons and sea monsters don't exist anymore.