View post (minor scales Major chords)

View thread

dvenetian
dvenetian
03/28/2007 12:35 pm
Originally Posted by: iceandhotwaxi havent heard of this scale before either.. isnt it just 2 notes short of being chromatic?

Let's break it down and see.
Say we use the "A" Mixo-Blues scale and the Chromatic scale starting at "A". Let's use all # notes for the accidentials to make it uniform.
"A" Mixo-Blues = A-B-C-C#-D-D#-E-F#-G
"A" Chromatic = A-A#-B-C-C#-D-D#-E-F-F#-G-G#
It looks like the Mixo-Blues is missing the m2,m6 and M7 intervals from the Chromatic.
I have seen (rarely) the M2 and the M6 intervals removed from a hybrid scale and they still called it the Mixo-Blues scale. The intervals are;
1-b3-3-4-b5-5-b7 . To me, it's not the Mixo-Blues scale, it's just the Blues scale with an added 3rd.
Some refer to the Mixo-Blues scale as the "Super Blues Scale". Rather than referring to combining the Mixolydian mode and the Blues scale, the Super Blues scale combine the Major and minor Blues scales to get the same result.
Major Blues scale = 1-2-b3-3-5-6
Blues scale = 1-b3-4-b5-5-b7
Super Blues scale= 1-2-b3-3-4-b5-5-6-b7
Same intervals as the Mixo-Blues scale.
Each chord derives from a scale and with the Dominant 7th chord being so popular in Blues, I refer to this scale as Mixo-Blues because the Dominant 7th chord derives from the Mixolydian.
Blues is known to use many Chromatic passages, which gives it's sound that flavor. When choosing what to play for a Blues sound, it helps to know what and where to play it. So if you play a I7-IV7 progression, remember that the
b7th of the IV chord would be a b3rd to the I chord .
Even though the Mixo-Blues scale is a 9 note hybrid, it doesn't mean that all of the notes have to be used from it in a progression. Pick and choose where to emphasize.