Redbox

Krunek
Krunek
03/21/2007 5:32 am
Any of you guys ever heard of this?It is, I think an amp simulator...
Ok, here is the story from the start.I recently got a Ibanez RG 370.I wanted something with a bit more bite compared to my Ibanez GSA.Soooo, got it.Worked well.Still does, actually.Ok, the double locking tremolo doesn"t work
quite as I think it would, under heavy trem use it still gets pretty out of tune, but apart from that, it is ok.Well, was ok.I tried it on my amp, laney HCM, worked nice.Got the kick.But, then I plugged a line out from my amp to the mixer.Don"t have a mic, i had a line out made.Didn"t have that as original on amp.Well, the sound coming from the speakers is metal as hell.Pure high pitch screaming.And not a very clean one, too.S***.So, what is a guy to do?What causes this?Would it be better if I used a mic?I mean, of course it would, but, but...Here comes this redbox thing.One guitarist brought it to me, he is selling it.He saed, try it out.So I did.You plug a line out from the speaker into that thing.A regular jack.Then you plug a cannon (that is a yack on a mic cable, dunno how you guys call it??)to the mixer.And guitar works much better on speakers.But the funny thing is, it also affects the amp.And it affects it quite nice.Like adding a whole lotta grease, know what I mean?Like i turned amp up by a quarter of a nob and got a clearer sound in addition.
Anyhow...Should i buy this?Or just go with the mic?What do you guys think?
# 1
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
03/21/2007 10:34 am
I've been using a redbox for about 10 years and swear by it. but it kinda depends on what you use it for. It's not so much an amp simulator as a cabinet simulator. I use it on older pedals and multi-effects units when I'm recording direct. It smooths out the top end cheezy fuzz sound so it sounds more like it's coming through a speaker cabinet.
However, if I'm going to be using something like Amplitube later, I'll use the direct signal cause it's more accurate.
# 2

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.