Cool Edit Pro 2.0 & Lexicon Alpha Problem

MRHIGHSPEED
MRHIGHSPEED
03/19/2007 12:24 am
Hi all, new around here, so hopefully I'll make a little sense. Got a problem I'm trying to get past.

I'm using the Alpha into my laptop with CEP 2.0. After I record the first track, any additional tracks will record fine, but attempting to monitor the previously recorded tracks through the headpohone output on the Alpha won't work properly. I hear everything as static and a feedback sounding squeal. What's funny is, if I'm not recording, I can playback the other tracks just fine. Also, everything plays back fine over the speakers, even when monitoring as I record another track. Also, the Alpha doesn't have this problem if I'm using Cubase LE. But, Cubase doesn't offer the capabilities of CEP 2.0. Right now, I'm forced to lay tracks down on Cubase, then mix them on CEP. Any help would be appreciated..
# 1
da_ardvark
da_ardvark
03/19/2007 6:03 pm
I don't use CEP, but it sounds to me like the effect is taking the tracks and feeding them back through again and again. Sets up an infinite loop. Does the noise get progressively worse as the recording goes on? Look to see of you can find some info on this. I know this type of thing can happen in SONAR. Not sure what it would be called in CEP.

Hope this might help
# 2
MRHIGHSPEED
MRHIGHSPEED
03/19/2007 8:56 pm
Yeah, it does seem to get worse, although I haven't actually sat and listened to it for any real length of time. I'll have to see if there's a way to stop that.

Any suggestions?
# 3
da_ardvark
da_ardvark
03/20/2007 1:24 pm
Not being familiar (read, never used it) with CEP, I really don't know what to tell ya other than to look for some effect settings and make some changes to the way the effect is being processed.
# 4
MRHIGHSPEED
MRHIGHSPEED
03/20/2007 6:23 pm
Thanks!

Tried digging around and so far, even with no effects, it's still happening. Looks like I'll just have to continue bouncing tracks between programs.
# 5
MRHIGHSPEED
MRHIGHSPEED
03/22/2007 2:43 am
OK, so problem solved. I'll post the solution here just in case someone else is enough of a newbee to not know these things either.

I didn't have my device setting correct in Cool Edit. I was not getting or sending 32 bit audio as 3 byte Packed PCM. On the tracks’ recording panel, I was recording as 16 bit instead of 32 bit. (Changing this is the one that fixed the problem.)

Hope this helps someone else along the way!
# 6
erietemperance
erietemperance
12/31/2008 4:48 am
Solved; In Acid Select - Options - Preferences - Audio Device - Audio Device Type - (change from Microsoft Sound Mapper to ALPHA ASIO driver) no more problems. Also for Alpha Users - never put it on a speaker, it just starts doing weird things. . .
# 7

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.