Latest mix - progressive instrumental

Superhuman
Superhuman
03/16/2007 9:35 pm
Ok, here's the latest mix of 'Epiphany' - I added a bassline, compression and reverb to the drums (still not right) , flanger to one or two rhythm parts and a touch of reverb to backing rhythm parts here and there. I think it's getting there but still needs a bit of tweaking.

Approaced this track a little differently than usual. Started with a collection of riffs which I put into a structured progression, then came up with the lead, then went back and re-recorded the rhythm to suit the lead - kept things a little more organic.

I really like the end after the last 'Unleash the Fury' sample (Tom Green from Road Trip btw). Wanted to end on something frenetic and evil - the chromatic tapping sounds fairly dark;-)

Still have to rerecord some of those lead parts, too stressed out at work to concentrate on sweep picking!!

Hope you like it, crits and advice appreciated as always!
http://www.mp3unsigned.com/Showband.asp?id=4890
# 1
grizzlymint
grizzlymint
03/16/2007 9:47 pm
This is high adrenaline stuff here man. My only personal complaints would be the rhythms are now seeming to over power the leads a bit. The drums do seem to have impoved though. I would like to hear those leads scream...be careful though, we don't need any liquified faces. :D

I always like to try to pick out influences, because, well....thats what I do. But I may be way off but I wanna say...Marty Friedman. I wouldn't call it a heavy influence, but it really gave me a Rust In Peace feeling. Which is a good thing, a very good thing, in my book.

Rock on man, keep em coming.
Let your soul shine. Its better than sunshine. Its better than moonshine. Damn sure better than rain.
# 2
Superhuman
Superhuman
03/16/2007 10:01 pm
Thanks for the comments Grizz, Marty Friedman is one of my all time favourites - he got me hooked on the exotic scales. Another big influence is Jason Becker - both Becker and Friedman played together in a band called Cacophony and Marty played a few leads on my favourite shred album of all time - Jason Becker's 'Perpetual Burn'. Anyway, those guys are big influences but they are leagues ahead - worth aspiring to!
Just incase you were interested, I used Minor, Harmonic minor, Algerian and Id scales in that track - typical Marty Friedman ala Rust in Peace days;-) Well spotted!
# 3
ericthecableguy
ericthecableguy
03/16/2007 10:03 pm
Oh baby...

Sweet tune dude. That tone gets me...how amps are you using?

Ha, i sounded retarded. What amps are you using maybe? ha

That's pretty sweet tone from the prophecy.
For life is quite absurd and death's the final word, You must always face the curtain with a bow
Forget about your sin - give the audience a grin
Enjoy it - it's your last chance anyhow.

METOOB
# 4
Superhuman
Superhuman
03/16/2007 10:07 pm
Originally Posted by: ericthecableguyOh baby...

Sweet tune dude. That tone gets me...how amps are you using?

No amps at all, 100% DI;-) Bass was through a Sansamp Bass Driver, and I used 2 gutiars (6 & 7 string) through a Rocktron Prophesy II - it has the most realistic speaker simulator I've ever heard and it actually reponds just like you were playing through a real full stack. Definitely my favourite piece of gear :D
# 5
grizzlymint
grizzlymint
03/16/2007 10:17 pm
Originally Posted by: SuperhumanThanks for the comments Grizz, Marty Friedman is one of my all time favourites - he got me hooked on the exotic scales. Another big influence is Jason Becker - both Becker and Friedman played together in a band called Cacophony and Marty played a few leads on my favourite shred album of all time - Jason Becker's 'Perpetual Burn'. Anyway, those guys are big influences but they are leagues ahead - worth aspiring to!
Just incase you were interested, I used Minor, Harmonic minor, Algerian and Id scales in that track - typical Marty Friedman ala Rust in Peace days;-) Well spotted!

Damn, I'm good. :D
Let your soul shine. Its better than sunshine. Its better than moonshine. Damn sure better than rain.
# 6
ren
ren
03/16/2007 10:20 pm
as ever mate... jaw dropping...

Check out my music, video, lessons & backing tracks here![br]https://www.renhimself.com

# 7
Sean Conklin
Sean Conklin
03/17/2007 5:32 am
Not bad dude! I didn't like the mix much, and some parts seemed a little dry, but overall it flowed pretty well. Good job!

Sean
# 8
RGX312l
RGX312l
03/17/2007 9:46 am
the only negative thing I can say about your music is:

it has very very high potential to turn off any person starting to learn to play the gtr because your stuffs will make them give up learning music altogether.
;)

RGX312L
"Dangerous Distortion, Serious Sustain"

www.soundcloud.com/rgx312l
# 9
maestro shaz
maestro shaz
03/26/2007 4:06 am
G'day Super!

Listened to your track, much better than the 1st version.

Maybe you can try bringing up the drums just a tad bit and also the bass.

Adjust the EQ to the tracks a bit, add some Studio Reverb to the whole mix to broaden out the song (Does that make sense?)

About your playing - No comment ;)

Oh and another thing I noticed was during the parts when you have the Ride cymbal running, perhaps try and change the velocity of each hit to make it sound different from each other, cos it sounded like it was all at the same velocity, which gives away that it's not a live drummer playing. Although the samples you use for the drums sound just great man.

I look forward to hearing the final version Superhuman.

Keep up the good work mate ;)
[FONT=Verdana]
MuSiC RoCkZz
[/FONT]
My Music
# 10
Superhuman
Superhuman
03/30/2007 11:31 pm
Thanks Shaz, good to get your comments - I really like your playing style. I hear you regarding the reverb, getting it right is the big problem though - I'm not very good at mixing and effects, I'd like to work on creating some space between the various guitar parts but how to do it escapes me :( Still not happy with the drums... consider them a work in progress! As far as programming the drums goes, its my least favourite part of any track... I hate programming midi! On my monitors the bass is almost too loud in places... I can actually hear the picking of the plectrum (compression might sort that out...). Anyway, I tweaked things again a little so the mix up there now is a little different - better I hope.
Thanks again to all who listened. Much appreciated.
# 11
maestro shaz
maestro shaz
04/05/2007 9:39 am
Have you heard of the 'Waves' VST's?

There's one VST in it, which I cannot recall the name right now :confused:

Well, it gives you heaps of options on Reverb, Studio, Hall, Club etc.

I use the Studio one, and mix it in only about 8-5% wet. It really opens up the stereo spectrum.
[FONT=Verdana]
MuSiC RoCkZz
[/FONT]
My Music
# 12

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.