Line 6 Spider III amp sounds ?

Logan826
High on Strat
Logan826
High on Strat
03/16/2007 1:33 am
I have the title amp and was wondering about tones from it. I just started to learn Rain King by Counting Crows. If anyone has heard the unplugged version it sounds great. There is a lead link at the very begining of the the song that is played on the 16th and 14th frets. For the life of me I can't get the tone to sound anywhere close to this. Because it's played so far down the fretboard i'm getting the higher sound instead of the more "crunch" sound. You'd have to here the song to know what I'm talking about. If someone has heard this please give me advice on how, if it's possible with this amp, to get that same sound. If it makes any difference, I have a Epiphone Les Paul limited custom.
Thanks,
Dan
# 1
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
03/16/2007 4:23 am
Please don't take this as a personal insult...

You are attempting to use a modelling amp to reproduce the sound created by someone who actually has a clue about where good sounds come from. Simply put, it ain't gonna work. The very best you can hope to accomplish is a pale immitation of the original.

Learn the licks. Absorb the timing, the nuances of pull, hammer-on, and slide. Then, find your self a real guitar amplifier, and learn how to make real guitar music.

Yeah, I'm an Old Fart.

And I have yet to hear 'real' guitar sounds coming from the likes of Spider amps. YMMV.
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 2
grizzlymint
grizzlymint
03/16/2007 4:34 am
I will agree with LATS here. I own a Spider II. For the dough, great value. But you're not gonna be able to really tune into good tones or make unique ones. As he said, you can get pale imitations, but never hit the nail on the head. Lots of electronics and eq'ing go into such things.
Let your soul shine. Its better than sunshine. Its better than moonshine. Damn sure better than rain.
# 3
Logan826
High on Strat
Logan826
High on Strat
03/17/2007 1:36 am
LATS, That's not an insult. Saying I was a cheap SOB when I made the purchase, and that I should use it as a boat anchor and buy a real amp. Would have been an insult. ;). I'm new to this and didn't know any better at the time of the purchase. I got what I asked for....a good, but inexpensive amp that would get me started and I could play in the house without disrupting the whole family, like my son did with the Sax when he first started. LOL
So on that note, what would be a good amp that meets my requirements of being able to play in the house. Please keep in mind that I never intend on gigging with it. It's just a personal enjoyment for me. I may play for friends or jam with them in a garage or home enviroment.
Thanks,
Dan
# 4
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
03/17/2007 3:39 am
If you never plan to do anything more than make some noise in the house, you might consider looking at the >ZVex< Nano Amp. The price may upset you, though.

I rarely recommend transistor amps, but I have an old Ampeg G-18 that I like a lot. Keep checking eBay. They usually sell for US$60 - US$80, in good condition. I often jam with the lil' tone-monster because it's so easy to take with me, is loud enough to work with, and sounds great. You'll need some pedals to pursue your Counting Crows goal, but it works well with those. Bear in mind that by the time a recorded session is released, it has often been tweaked and manipulated in ways that aren't going to happen live.
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 5
Logan826
High on Strat
Logan826
High on Strat
03/17/2007 10:34 am
Thanks LATS. I will look into those. Any other suggestions ? from anyone ? I like to get a few ideas so I can make an egimicaded decision ;)
Thanks,
Dan
# 6

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.