Using a Metronome

IbanezRG770
IbanezRG770
03/01/2007 9:05 pm
I have been using a Metronome and I see improvement. But I have never seen an explantion on how to properly use a Metronome. All I can figure is to play a note every time the metronome sounds. And while this has been sufficient so far I have reached the top speed on some of my scales. I noticed on a Zach Wild Video lesson he played several notes between every beat. I always read that you should use a Metronome but have never ever seen anyone explain the proper use. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks
# 1
da_ardvark
da_ardvark
03/01/2007 9:40 pm
It's used strictly as a timing tool. It really doesn't matter how many notes you play in between each metronome beat. The key is to use it as THE TIME.
Don't play in front of the beat of after the beat. Start slow and stay there until you can play at this speed comfortably. Then and only then gradually increase speed. Again play comfortably at the new speed before increasing again.
# 2
magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator
magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator
03/01/2007 10:08 pm
Yeah if you use it as a quarter not marker you could play eighth notes by putting a note on and in between clicks. You can play sixteenth notes by putting a note on the click and three between clicks. This is how people can say things like I can play sixteenth notes at 200bpm. Things like that.
Magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator

"If it feels right, play it. If it feels wrong, play it faster” - Magicninja
www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 3
IbanezRG770
IbanezRG770
03/01/2007 10:13 pm
Originally Posted by: da_ardvarkIt's used strictly as a timing tool. It really doesn't matter how many notes you play in between each metronome beat. The key is to use it as THE TIME.
Don't play in front of the beat of after the beat. Start slow and stay there until you can play at this speed comfortably. Then and only then gradually increase speed. Again play comfortably at the new speed before increasing again.

Thanks. I have been using it like you stated. I was just wondering why you can change the tempo and beat etc. I was thinking there might be more ways to use it other than just one note or Chord played for every beat of the Metronome.
Basically I am at the stage where I am trying to get my timing down to play with backing tracks. This has me wanting to throw my guitar through the wall. My playing sounds pretty good until you play the backing track then I am to slow on some parts and to fast on others. I have started to tap my foot for timing and this seems to help. I am just trying to make sure I am not missing out on some magic solution to help me out with this. But I am sure its like the rest of my guitar experiences...practice practice practice and then more pratctice. Gotta love it!!!
# 4

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.