Is it just me?

Poontang_clan
Poontang_clan
02/24/2007 5:47 am
I find the music I write sucks bad in comparison to most anything I listen to. Ive got good technical experience. I guess what I want to know is if it wil get better, I'm assuming yes, but was wondering if any of you wrote some songs and look back on them and say wow those sucked?
"We forgot to call Dylan" "Who the F*ck is Dylan?" "oh, I mean xDylanx" " oh yea we forgot to call him"
# 1
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
02/24/2007 6:21 am
heh.. all of em.
It's kinda like seeing yourself on video or hearing your voice on tape... gives ya the willies.
# 2
R. Shackleferd
Gulf Coaster
R. Shackleferd
Gulf Coaster
02/24/2007 7:28 am
Despite whatever progress you make, 20 years from now you'll still be yearning to expand and hopefully never be content and satisfied...as it should be. Even (insert your favorite guitar hero) writes stuff that doesn't really thrill them to death...sometimes even the very songs others grow to love. But try seeing it as though you already have improved.
And the best ideas are hardly ever intentional...the "muse" has to visit you and spontaneously an idea will start to flow. To help initiate this though, I suggest setting up a tape recorder and just letting go. I'd say a tape because you can just hit the button and leave it alone for up to 30 mins or so...helps you forget it's there (important) as opposed to on the computer or whatever other medium requires more frequent attention. Then you can review it and salvage what parts are worthy and then intentionally expand them. So far this has been one of the most rewarding feelings I've gained from guitar...hearing a crappy recording of myself yet going, "damn, that was pretty cool, how the hell did I do that?" But yes, those moments are somewhat rare and fleeting...thus the suggestion of recording to capture them.
[FONT=Palatino Linotype]"Bust a nut!" - Dimebag
"Imagination is more important than knowledge." - Einstein
[/FONT]
# 3
iceandhotwax
iceandhotwax
02/24/2007 4:56 pm
i have written a couple of hundred 'songs' and out of all i think maybe 3 or 4 , are ok , the rest are crap
# 4
Poontang_clan
Poontang_clan
02/25/2007 4:48 am
Thanks, I guess im on the right track
"We forgot to call Dylan" "Who the F*ck is Dylan?" "oh, I mean xDylanx" " oh yea we forgot to call him"
# 5
iceandhotwax
iceandhotwax
02/25/2007 2:29 pm
i dunno if it is the right track.. but you aint on it alone
# 6
aschleman
aschleman
02/28/2007 4:31 pm
Just like playing the guitar, songwriting is a learning process. It's just like looking back at how well you played guitar a year ago... Everyday that you sit and write songs or just write in general you grow a little bit. Granted, some people just can't write songs. Just like guitar and anything else... it follows nicely with the statement "if it were easy everyone would be doing it."

The biggest difference between the stuff of mine that I don't like and the stuff that I do like is the maturity of it. The songs that I wrote 3 years ago are very basic, good in their own right... but I don't ever play them for people becuase I feel like they don't show what I am really capable of as a songwriter. Since that time I have absorbed so much thorugh life experiences and through music that my writing abilites from then to now are so much more broadened that it's really amazing. Writing is one of those things that takes time... My writing skills have matured along with me. Through all the life experiences that I have along the way... each and every day... I become a slightly better songwriter...

I am, however, my toughest critic and I think that's the way it should be. Stay humble. If there is something that you don't like about a song and everyone tells you should leave it, becasue they like it.... Chances are they're lying to you and you should change it.

In the end we all have growing pains in anything we do. Writing songs is no exception to the rule... It doesn't happen overnight.
# 7
hunter60
Humble student
hunter60
Humble student
02/28/2007 4:58 pm
Originally Posted by: aschlemanJust like playing the guitar, songwriting is a learning process. It's just like looking back at how well you played guitar a year ago... Everyday that you sit and write songs or just write in general you grow a little bit. Granted, some people just can't write songs. Just like guitar and anything else... it follows nicely with the statement "if it were easy everyone would be doing it."

The biggest difference between the stuff of mine that I don't like and the stuff that I do like is the maturity of it. The songs that I wrote 3 years ago are very basic, good in their own right... but I don't ever play them for people becuase I feel like they don't show what I am really capable of as a songwriter. Since that time I have absorbed so much thorugh life experiences and through music that my writing abilites from then to now are so much more broadened that it's really amazing. Writing is one of those things that takes time... My writing skills have matured along with me. Through all the life experiences that I have along the way... each and every day... I become a slightly better songwriter...

I am, however, my toughest critic and I think that's the way it should be. Stay humble. If there is something that you don't like about a song and everyone tells you should leave it, becasue they like it.... Chances are they're lying to you and you should change it.

In the end we all have growing pains in anything we do. Writing songs is no exception to the rule... It doesn't happen overnight.

If I can add to that, write for yourself. If you write something that pleases you, generally, it will please your audience. And even if they like something that you don't, it won't be a very fulfilling experience. I know from my own experience, I write to amuse or entertain myself first. I trust that my audience will get the joke. And they usually do.

Asch is right, writing like guitar playing like anything else comes with time and experience. You're better today than yesterday and tomorrow you'll be even better.
[FONT=Tahoma]"All I can do is be me ... whoever that is". Bob Dylan [/FONT]
# 8
ren
ren
02/28/2007 6:55 pm
Originally Posted by: hunter60If I can add to that, write for yourself. If you write something that pleases you, generally, it will please your audience. And even if they like something that you don't, it won't be a very fulfilling experience. I know from my own experience, I write to amuse or entertain myself first. I trust that my audience will get the joke. And they usually do.

Asch is right, writing like guitar playing like anything else comes with time and experience. You're better today than yesterday and tomorrow you'll be even better.

"You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to hunter60 again."

ARGH!

Check out my music, video, lessons & backing tracks here![br]https://www.renhimself.com

# 9
iceandhotwax
iceandhotwax
03/02/2007 1:20 pm
a good tip that i can offer is record everything ... sometimes ya hit upon stuff by accident that you dont even notice ..
# 10
pnuma
pnuma
03/03/2007 5:52 pm
I would suggest sitting down and seriously analyzing great songs. Write down the lyrics for songs you really like and look at them and see what makes them unique. I did this with a lot of Dylan and Devendra Banhart material and it has helped my songwriting immensely.
# 11
Byron Marks
Byron Marks
03/29/2007 3:26 pm
Originally Posted by: Poontang_clanI find the music I write sucks bad in comparison to most anything I listen to. Ive got good technical experience. I guess what I want to know is if it wil get better, I'm assuming yes, but was wondering if any of you wrote some songs and look back on them and say wow those sucked?

I definitely did. Songwriting is a constant process and I'm constantly comparing things that I write now to things that I've written in the past. It'll take a little while to find your niche but you'll get there. Just keep at it. :)
# 12
Tevis Maloney
Tevis Maloney
03/30/2007 3:05 am
I'm always wanting to improve, never really satisfied with what I've done. I know I can and will do better, but sometimes you get a couple of nice suprises, it's what keeps me going.
# 13
Peter Cortinas
Peter Cortinas
04/03/2007 5:03 pm
On a technical note, knowing basic music theory is a big help. Also, writing music is a constant process. You must do it almost every day. With time you will definitely improve. Try not to be too hard on yourself and stay positive. You may not like the stuff you hear but use that as constructive criticism. You may find something in there that you like and analyze why you like it. Hope this helps.

Peter
# 14
Grambo
halfway to somewhere
Grambo
halfway to somewhere
04/03/2007 5:30 pm
Yeah me too, I've recorded about 160 and I only like two of 'em - and the're both blues
if you always take the lazy route
The Devil knows your every move ![COLOR=RoyalBlue]
# 15
strat-man
strat-man
04/03/2007 9:48 pm
i've written maybe 30 songs in the last 2 years and they all suck! a couple contain the occasional moment of genius and one of them was almost good, but, on the whole, crap! :(
Strat totin
Six string slingin
Son of a gun

I met my maker, i made him cry, and on my shoulder he asked me why, his people won't fly thru the storm, i said, listen here man they don't even know your born.

strat-man rocks with vox
# 16
Ian Hand
Ian Hand
04/09/2007 5:42 pm
Originally Posted by: Poontang_clan but was wondering if any of you wrote some songs and look back on them and say wow those sucked?

Yes I have listend to songs I've written and thought 'that's terrible' but I've also had the opposite happen and rediscovered songs I'd written that were quiet good or had bits/ideas that I could lift for a new song.

Keep writing it's the only way to improve :)
# 17
Jean-F. Renaud
Jean-F. Renaud
04/09/2007 6:06 pm
Every song you've written will help you to become better at it. Try to compose every day and listen to your songs every month, and look how much you improve.
# 18
Tim Giddens
Tim Giddens
04/10/2007 11:37 pm
I listen to my recordings and mostly cringe but like stated before continuous practice will lead to improvement and luckily we are usually our harshest critics.
# 19
Songman
Songman
04/22/2007 4:24 am
You are all right!
Keep writing.
I wrote hundreds of songs and only 9 were published and none on a big label.
Like he said, we are all in the same boat.
Just keep trying.

As for your 2nd cut. Better than the first, but run it through the mill again.
It's good. Near perfect.
# 20

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.