Is this "Norm"

MAVERIC777
Full Access
MAVERIC777
Full Access
02/21/2007 3:17 am
I was just wondering after a good/bad 2 hour practice I had tonight. I found on my electric I was able to hit the F chord better than ever before. I was actualy playing it in a song whoooo hooo...lol. The bad is ever since I learned "amazing Grace" solo (... from one of the lessons on here) I play it a few times every day, and today I couldent get it right. I know the song and have a sweet recording of it. I was just wondering is that the norm? You know on one thing tonight and off the next. I know it sounds crazy. I just got some doubt floating around in my head and just wanted to check. Thanks.
A man isen't measured by how far he has traveld in life, but how he made the jurney. ;)

MySpace
# 1
hunter60
Humble student
hunter60
Humble student
02/21/2007 4:17 am
Originally Posted by: MAVERIC777I was just wondering after a good/bad 2 hour practice I had tonight. I found on my electric I was able to hit the F chord better than ever before. I was actualy playing it in a song whoooo hooo...lol. The bad is ever since I learned "amazing Grace" solo (... from one of the lessons on here) I play it a few times every day, and today I couldent get it right. I know the song and have a sweet recording of it. I was just wondering is that the norm? You know on one thing tonight and off the next. I know it sounds crazy. I just got some doubt floating around in my head and just wanted to check. Thanks.

Brother, if that's not normal, I'm in serious trouble. Happens to me every single night. Some nights, great. Other nights, I think I should give up the guitar and start playing the kazoo.

Naw, sounds normal to me. :)
[FONT=Tahoma]"All I can do is be me ... whoever that is". Bob Dylan [/FONT]
# 2
grizzlymint
grizzlymint
02/21/2007 4:35 am
Yep. Agree with hunter. Even the virtuosos have to practice their own stuff. Satch said he has to practice Mystical Potato Head Groove Thing daily to keep it up to par.

...man, I talk about Satch a lot. Probably because hes the greatest.
Let your soul shine. Its better than sunshine. Its better than moonshine. Damn sure better than rain.
# 3
ren
ren
02/21/2007 9:50 am
I've been playing 22 years now, and it still happens to me. I forgot a song totally last night that I play live more or less every week - once I jogged my memory with mp3 it started coming back, but the mental blocks are still there. I have good days and bad days... It's all just repetition, so as long as you keep cramming it in there, most of it won't fall out!

And I reckon Satch is quite probably the greatest....

Check out my music, video, lessons & backing tracks here![br]https://www.renhimself.com

# 4

02/21/2007 12:15 pm
I'm the same way. In the past 4-5 years I've been dedicated only to create original songs (no covers) and I forget most of them .... and I created them !!! lol

I'll remember bits and pieces but will have to sit down and relearn them often.
# 5
MAVERIC777
Full Access
MAVERIC777
Full Access
02/21/2007 1:45 pm
Thanks yall. Glad to see this is norm. Well looking back I am still pleased with the chords I was playing. Just wouldent of been a good night to take leed...lol. Thanks agin.
A man isen't measured by how far he has traveld in life, but how he made the jurney. ;)

MySpace
# 6
ren
ren
02/21/2007 2:43 pm
Originally Posted by: AkiraDude, I've just realised you're nearly 30. I thought you were like, 21. :o

Seriously man... I thought we were friends and here you are drawing everyone's attention to an approaching milestone.... For the next week and a bit I'll thank everyone to focus on the 'nearly'.... ;)

Like Benoit, I forget my own tracks as well... which is just ridiculous... maybe it's my advancing years? :p

Check out my music, video, lessons & backing tracks here![br]https://www.renhimself.com

# 7
iceandhotwax
iceandhotwax
02/23/2007 11:17 am
i once read an interview with Eric Clapton, in refrence to the Layla sessions , and Duane Allman; he mentioned that when he was on he was incredible...implication that he wasnt allways 'on'
# 8
MAVERIC777
Full Access
MAVERIC777
Full Access
02/23/2007 8:56 pm
Yea I guess guitar is like everything else. By the way the very next night I rang out that Amazing grace sooo sweet. Wife walked in the room and told me that guitar is by far her favorite endever I have taken on...lol

MySpace
# 9
Drew77
Drew77
02/27/2007 1:34 am
Yeah I have the same problem sometimes, like today my warm up was horrible casue I was sick and haven;t played in two days. Terrible. Also I remember at least one instance when I literally forgot how to play a guitar in the middle of my practice, I don't even know how it is possible. I just couldn;t play anything any more, I forgot every scale and chord I know and evey time I tried to hit a fret I would be off by at least one. weirdest thing ever and I just set it down and twenty minutes later I was fine.

As for the F chord, I am glad I didn't really know about it until recently I have never had any trouble fretting it :D I had been playing a year and a half before I actually knew about it though so...
# 10
MAVERIC777
Full Access
MAVERIC777
Full Access
03/01/2007 6:33 pm
[QUOTE=Drew77] Also I remember at least one instance when I literally forgot how to play a guitar in the middle of my practice, I don't even know how it is possible. I just couldn;t play anything any more, I forgot every scale and chord I know and evey time I tried to hit a fret I would be off by at least one. weirdest thing ever and I just set it down and twenty minutes later I was fine. [QUOTE]

lol.... where I come from we like to call it a good ole "Brain Fart".

MySpace
# 11

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.