Who likes Jam Band Guitar (Phish, Umphrey's)

UmphreyMcGuitar
UmphreyMcGuitar
02/20/2007 6:39 am
Hey everybody out there........is it just me or are the guys like trey are the best guitar players out there....I meen who else can trip on acid and still play like that, it is awesome and I would suggest to anyone that likes the blues to jam band to metal shredding finger tapping check out Umphrey's McGee.....to see them live is unbelievable best band touring today............what do you guys think...Is blazing speed on the guitar juyst a **** ton of practice or are some people just naturaly faster and no matter how much you practice?
# 1
grizzlymint
grizzlymint
02/20/2007 6:47 am
Hmmm...quite a few of amazing musicians tripped out on acid and made great music.

Some people are naturally gifted, like me. I'm probably the greatest to ever pick up the instrument....well at least in the top 10....million. But anyways. We had a discussion a bit back. Music is what you make of it. Some people can express emotion through music in a more technically sound/difficult/faster way than others. All in the eye and ear of the beholder chief. :)
Let your soul shine. Its better than sunshine. Its better than moonshine. Damn sure better than rain.
# 2
Leedogg
Grizzled Veteran
Leedogg
Grizzled Veteran
02/20/2007 6:56 am
I love Umphrey's McGee to death. I like Jam bands because the focus is on sounding good live, but for me, there's always been alot of stuff to wade through to find what really gets me going.

Jake Cinninger will definitely be a guitarist to reckon with as they gain more and more notoriety.

I like Jam bands that are more on the rock side of things. Like Umphrey's, Buckethead, Gov't Mule, et al.

In college, I listened to tons of phish and the dead, as well as Wide Spread Panic, disco biscuits, STS9, etc.. They just don't do it for me the same way.
Blues is easy to play, but hard to feel.
My YouTube Profile
# 3
UmphreyMcGuitar
UmphreyMcGuitar
02/20/2007 7:10 am
Hey if any one could correctlt tab All in time I would ****ing love you ......I know the begining riff is a sound of genius one guitar starts on the tenth fret on the b string and the other on the ninth fret on the e and follow the same pattern......I would love to know the second main riff I just can't figure it out and the first riff sounds so cool playin it with my loop pedal..........yea I def. like the rock and roll jam bands phish was so cool trey just made me want to learn the guitar not just play it......and it was the end of bouncin round the room the picked out arrpegios it just sounds almost magical quit simialar to the on of the ending riffs in all in time...............some body told me umphrey's started as a phish cover band is there any truth to that?
# 4
aschleman
aschleman
02/20/2007 1:03 pm
I've seen Umprey's live a couple times... awesome band.

Other great jam bands/Artists:
Gov't Mule
Widespread Panic
North Mississippi Allstars
Guster
moe.
Keller Williams
Michael Hedges
Allman Brothers
Grateful Dead
Oysterhead
String Cheese Incident
Yonder Mountain String Band
OAR
Wilco
whether you like to admit it or not Dave Matthews band pre-1997 or so.
Tool... I don't care what you say... Tool is a jam band.

I'm going to Bonaroo this year... perhaps the Mecca of Jam bands.
# 5
UmphreyMcGuitar
UmphreyMcGuitar
02/20/2007 4:25 pm
Yes Tool is awesome but I hope that they dont bring a crowd of people that like startin mosh pits and startin fights .......i would hate to see that to many peoplke there including myself are so ****ed up on x boomers and alchy to have people with hate out there
# 6
aschleman
aschleman
02/20/2007 4:43 pm
I'm actually really excited that they're going to be there because I've always been a little uneasy about buying tickets to one of their concerts mostly because the hardcore Tool fans are just wierd... But now I'll get to see them while being around a bunch of hippies!! So it'll be nice...

I doubt people will buy tickets to Bonaroo to just see Tool... they'd be greatly dissappointed in the rest of the music if they're die hard Tool fans. haha.

So far the band list looks pretty killer though.
# 7
aschleman
aschleman
02/20/2007 6:38 pm
Michael Hedges has been one of my favorite jam guitarists ever since I started playing about 6 years ago... there is a guy from Lafayette named Michael Kelsey who is a lot like him...

But for those that don't know Michael Hedges... He pretty much wrote the book on percussive guitar playing and alternate tunings for acoustic guitars... I can't remember the exact number of alternate tunings that he recorded songs in but I believe it's over 60 or so... He was often called "The Paganini" of guitar.... which is a bold statement... He died in a car crash in 1997... Here's him doing a rockin version of All Along the Watchtower in 1987:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rs0rKW2jqMU

His styles are seen in a lot of acoustic guitar players of today including one of my other favorite jammers... Keller Williams.
# 8
magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator
magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator
02/20/2007 7:00 pm
That'll be a dollar for making move a thread. :)
Magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator

"If it feels right, play it. If it feels wrong, play it faster” - Magicninja
www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 9
rockonn91
rockonn91
02/20/2007 7:09 pm
Originally Posted by: aschleman
His styles are seen in a lot of acoustic guitar players of today including one of my other favorite jammers... Keller Williams.

AMEN.

Keller is amazing.
JK :cool:

-Agile Guitars Enthusiast
# 10
Leedogg
Grizzled Veteran
Leedogg
Grizzled Veteran
02/20/2007 8:41 pm
Have you guys heard of Jimmy Herring? He's WSP's new guitarist and that guy can rip!
Blues is easy to play, but hard to feel.
My YouTube Profile
# 11
UmphreyMcGuitar
UmphreyMcGuitar
02/21/2007 7:38 pm
no I haven't is there any wsp tunes I should download.......How bout the drummer from the north mississippi allstars I went to the Umphreys new years shows in chicago and that kid had a wash board with a jack in it with like thimbles on his fingers and I swear it was the coolest sounding thing when he looped it and had flange all over it but does anyone know what that is called
# 12
grizzlymint
grizzlymint
02/21/2007 7:55 pm
I just started listening to moe. the other day. Pretty awesome stuff. I enjoy it a lot.
Let your soul shine. Its better than sunshine. Its better than moonshine. Damn sure better than rain.
# 13
aschleman
aschleman
02/21/2007 8:05 pm
Originally Posted by: grizzlymintI just started listening to moe. the other day. Pretty awesome stuff. I enjoy it a lot.

Right on man... moe. is awesome. "Captain America" is one of my favorite songs by them.....

Also check out a jam band called "The Bluff". I think they have a myspace page... My buddy, Andy Olrich plays violin for them... they opened for moe. in Indianapolis a few years back when they were just getting started... then they were called Truffle Bluff... Andy has his own myspace too... Kid's a whiz on violin. Started playing when he was 2 and was concert master at Purdue all 4 years he was there.... they're a kick ass jam band too though.
# 14
jiujitsu_jesus
jiujitsu_jesus
02/21/2007 9:25 pm
I like Umphrey's, but there aren't many other jam bands I listen to anymore. I used to listen to quite a lot of that stuff, though, and that was what got me into jazz-rock fusion, which I now love, particularly the Mahavishnu Orchestra, who are now one of my favourite bands.
"It's all folk music... I ain't never heard no horse sing!"
- Attributed variously to Leadbelly and Louis Armstrong

If at first you don't succeed, you are obviously not Chuck Norris.

l337iZmz r@wk o.K!!!??>
# 15
rockonn91
rockonn91
02/21/2007 10:05 pm
...off on a tangent from ben's post about jazz-fusion...

I guess you could conciter Steely Dan a jam band, I love those guys big time.
JK :cool:

-Agile Guitars Enthusiast
# 16

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.