Slash Tone Test

magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator
magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator
02/19/2007 11:43 pm
Hey guys I got invited to play Sweet Child O' Mine with my cousins band. I wanna get the tone as close as possible since that's what makes that song what it is. So if you guys can tell me if I'm close with what I got now and if the tone meisters can lend a tip to get it closer I would appreciate it. Thanks guys.

www.soundclick.com/magicninja
Magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator

"If it feels right, play it. If it feels wrong, play it faster” - Magicninja
www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 1
PRSplaya
Full Access
PRSplaya
Full Access
02/20/2007 12:03 am
It sounds ok like it is, but it might could use just a touch more gain. Be sure to use your neck pickup, and keep the mids up on your amp. You might also try playing with the tone knob on your guitar to help smooth things out if they need it. Try panning the intro hard left, and pan your playback hard right to get a real-time comparison. Also, it sounded like you were playing the exact same thing the whole way through, but the first note of the riff changes for each chord change. You're also playing out of time with the backing :o
[FONT=Palatino Linotype]Tonja Renee's personal instructor[/FONT]

>HERE'S WHERE I AM NOW<
# 2
Logan826
High on Strat
Logan826
High on Strat
02/20/2007 12:21 am
Not that I'm any expert. But I love this song. It has personal meanings for me so I've listened to it 1000+ times. It sounds a little flat to me. JMO. As for playing it, your track sounds great if you could just tweak the tone a little.
Dan
# 3
z0s0_jp
Riffologist
z0s0_jp
Riffologist
02/20/2007 12:30 am
more gain...but the tone was on it's way there!! just more gain...
prs was brutal ;)
like prs said, use the neck pup if you are not
"Dammit Jim!! I'm a guitarist not a roadie...so haul my gear"
# 4
grizzlymint
grizzlymint
02/20/2007 1:02 am
Yep. More gain. Needs a little more beef to it. And I'll also agree with everything PRS said.
Let your soul shine. Its better than sunshine. Its better than moonshine. Damn sure better than rain.
# 5
magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator
magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator
02/20/2007 2:45 am
Ok I updated it with some more gain and used the correct leading notes. Timing is still crap but I'll worry about that when I go rehearse with the band. My recording has a bit of latency I think./excuse :D
Magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator

# 6
PRSplaya
Full Access
PRSplaya
Full Access
02/20/2007 1:01 pm
I think your timing issue is because of latency with your recording, and not in your playing. Also, the progression is supposed to change when the chords change. Listen to the song to get the feel of it. I also sent you an e-mail that might help out some, so be on the lookout for it. ;)

>HERE'S WHERE I AM NOW<
# 7
magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator
magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator
02/20/2007 6:18 pm
Thanks Eric I really appreciate that. :)

I've re-updated the piece with some more gain some subtle tone knob changes on Betsy and the pedal. I also think I finally got the correct correct leading notes in there. The timing sounds a little bit better but there was a spot or two I sped up a little. Better for the most part I think. :o
Magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator

# 8
Leedogg
Grizzled Veteran
Leedogg
Grizzled Veteran
02/21/2007 5:11 am
Ninja,

The tone sounds really good, and I defer all tonal questions to Eric as he is the tonemeister extraordinaire.

I'll try and record something for you tomorrow when I get home from work that will show a few subtle nuances that really make this intro solo shine.

Are you tuned to Eb? I have trouble distinguishing sometimes.

Also, like Eric said, check out which note of the riff you're starting out on per the chord change: Either Db, Eb, or Gb.

Are you gonna tackle the main solo?

~Leedogg~
Blues is easy to play, but hard to feel.
My YouTube Profile
# 9
magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator
magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator
02/21/2007 5:21 am
Actually I was tuned to Eb and when the backing came on I was like wtf? The guy recorded it in E. So I tuned back up and went with it. Yes I'll be tackling as much of the song as I can cram.
Magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator

# 10
magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator
magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator
02/21/2007 8:27 pm
I added the first solo for you guys to look at. On this bit I'm wondering if I'm coming in at the right spot and if I'm holding the part before the bends too long or too short.

Edit>> Added the 2nd solo as well.

If I'm butchering them I need to know! Thanks guys.
Magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator

# 11
PRSplaya
Full Access
PRSplaya
Full Access
02/22/2007 12:30 pm
You've got the tone down pat now :cool:. As far as playing it "correctly", I'd play along with the actual recording instead of the backing track. It will help you a lot more in figuring out the right changes and all. You're definitely almost there though. There's just a few little nuances that need polishing up, but I know you'll get it down right. A+ on the tone though :)

>HERE'S WHERE I AM NOW<
# 12
iceandhotwax
iceandhotwax
02/24/2007 12:30 pm
it still seems to need the gain pushed up a bit , but that may just be me ..
# 13
z0s0_jp
Riffologist
z0s0_jp
Riffologist
02/24/2007 9:06 pm
also, hold your guitar vertically, have a cigarette dangling out of your mouth with at least an inch of ash on it and chemically induced sweat dripping off the end of your nose
"Dammit Jim!! I'm a guitarist not a roadie...so haul my gear"
# 14
magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator
magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator
02/25/2007 10:09 pm
Originally Posted by: PRSplayaYou've got the tone down pat now :cool:. As far as playing it "correctly", I'd play along with the actual recording instead of the backing track. It will help you a lot more in figuring out the right changes and all. You're definitely almost there though. There's just a few little nuances that need polishing up, but I know you'll get it down right. A+ on the tone though :)

Thanks man! I think I owe most of the tone to Betsy than my tweaking abilities. I plugged her in and I was halfway there! As for playing it correctly, I found my mistake in the intro. I wasn't repeating the first bar when I came back to it. I was only playing it twice instead of four times. I'll update that clip soon for accuracy.
Magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator

# 15
psycoderek
psycoderek
03/03/2007 10:01 am
Originally Posted by: magicninjaHey guys I got invited to play Sweet Child O' Mine with my cousins band. I wanna get the tone as close as possible since that's what makes that song what it is. So if you guys can tell me if I'm close with what I got now and if the tone meisters can lend a tip to get it closer I would appreciate it. Thanks guys.

www.soundclick.com/magicninja

Magic dude, you really grabbed the tone there. It's very difficult to get the tone exactly since Slash used a custom les paul. To get that close is awesome. Not sure what p/ups you use but a slight addition to the brihtness and you got it nailed.

Great job my friend.
Ex bluegrasslimey
# 16
magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator
magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator
03/03/2007 11:18 am
Actually I'm using a Custom LP. Gibson even. I don't have the Alnico's Slash uses though. On this guitar I'm using an Invader neck pup. :) Thanks for the tip.
Magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator

# 17

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.