D-Tuners, Locking nuts, Roller Bridges and all that stuff

JoeyLibby
JoeyLibby
07/24/2000 2:39 pm
Ive found some different D-Tuners. One of them is a replacement for the Low E tuning peg and the other is placed on the bridge. Are these wroth the money? Especially for stage performing. Whats the deal with roller bridges/ roller nuts.

And what are your peoples opinions on locking nuts?

------------------
One The only way is one
I feel angry I feel helpless Want to change the world
One The only way is one
I feel angry I feel helpless Want to change the world
# 1
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
07/31/2000 12:41 am
It depends, as for the D tuners, if you spend alot of time going between standard and droped d tuning, then yeah, they're worth the money. You take alot less time and look alot more professional on stage. I wanted one for my bass, but as it turned out the tuning pegs were diffent sizes, so I tried to put it on my other bass (at the time) only to discover it pysicly didn't have the room for the tuning machine. So I sent it back and had $50+ of credit w/ Stuwart MacDonalds Guitar Shop Supply for a while.
As for which is better, well the only ones I know of that go on your bridge are for Floyd Rose or other locking tremlo systems.

The only thing that rolling bridges or nuts will do for you is prevent tuning problems do to strings catching up on your nut. If you don't have tuning problems now, then don't worry about it. If you do, try working some graphite from a pencil into your nut first, it worked wonders for my strat.

Locking nuts go with the floyd rose type tremlos: the idea is you lock the strings at the nut, and tune from the bridge (which is why the EVH d-tuner mounts on the bridge), and you won't have tuning problems if you dive bomb or do other extream stuff w/ you vibrato. Again, it depends on your playing style, if you don't have problems now, don't bother with it.
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator

Careful what you wish for friend
I've been to Hell and now I'm back again

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 2

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.