Got a Question

MAVERIC777
Full Access
MAVERIC777
Full Access
02/13/2007 2:05 pm
Hey yall I was thinking my next big purchase is going to be an electric acoustic. I have a lower end Ibanez acoustic at the moment and a lower end Dean electric at the moment. I was looking for a couple of sudjestions on a brand of (mid priced... no more than $500) acoustic electrics. I heard Alverez and Taylor are good guitars. I am going to do reserch and check them out before I buy (being on a budget makes one look a little closer before you buy). Also what is the difference between an acoustic amp and the one I have with my electric guitar. Thanks!
A man isen't measured by how far he has traveld in life, but how he made the jurney. ;)

MySpace
# 1
aschleman
aschleman
02/13/2007 3:01 pm
Future reference: Gear discussion goes in "Gear Discussion"

500 USD can get you a pretty decent A/E (Acoustic Electric). I noticed that you said "Taylor". If you want to get a Taylor A/E you're gonna have to bump your budget up about another 500 dollars. haha. Taylor ARE excellent guitars. But they're not mass produced in the ways that most other guitars are. They're made very carefully by skilled luthiers right here in the US.... which means they're more expensive. They have a few lower priced instruments but they're mainly just acoustic instruments... Alvarez is a great brand as well!! I'm not super familiar with their products but I know they make great guitars. I've played a few... But once again... their A/E guitars might be a bit out of your price range...

Some other brands to have a look at are Takamine... I had an EG544 for about a year and a half before I sold it to pay off some bills... I bought it for around 600... but that was after I bought a hardshell case for it as well. It's got a very good preamp, an almost Taylor-like tone... It's got Koa backs and sides with a spruce top that really make it resonate... You can pick one up at a guitar center for about 450 or so. My advice to you, since you seem a little uneasy and uneducated about exactly what you're looking for, is to go in to as many guitar shops as you can and pick up every single acoustic guitar you can get your hands on. You need to familiarize yourself, atleast a little bit, with the instruments so you know what feels good and what doesn, and what certain tone woods sound like. Not all guitars are made of the same woods...

Acoustic Electric guitars most commonly use what's know as a piezo pickup. Instead of the big magnets with wire wrapped around it the piezo is pretty simply just a piece of wire in itself that lays underneath the bridge of the guitar... As the bridge vibrates the wire picks up the signal and sends it to the preamp... Which is normally located on the top side... The side facing up as you're holding the guitar to play it... The preamp is what takes these vibrations and turns them into sound. Different preamps have different tones and sound differently... Make sure you ask about the specific preamp in the guitar that you're going to buy to see if the salesman has any input whether or not it sounds good... Chances are he won't tell you even if it did sound horrible but it's worth a shot to ask... Some acoustic/electrics like the Epiphone EJ-40 (John Lennon signature guitar) have the same exact style of pickup as your electric... It just depends on the guitar... Taylors use a series of microphones implanted inside the body of the guitar to get a very very very good representation of the guitars tone... it's called the Expression System... that's one thing that makes their guitars so expensive...

Check out A/E guitars by Fender, Ephiphone, Dean, Takamine, Yamaha, and Ibanez... They're about your best bet for that price range.

Like I said though... Play every acoustic electric that you possibly can so you get a feel for them. It's not good to buy stuff that you haven't tried... especially if you're not sure about the specifics like the preamp and the tone woods.
Good Luck.
# 2
R. Shackleferd
Gulf Coaster
R. Shackleferd
Gulf Coaster
02/14/2007 12:04 am
As far as quality and value, I'm a big fan of Yamaha. But also, one of the best sounding acoustics I've ever picked up was a Godin. They may or may not be in your range (and they may not even have and on-board pickup), but they also make a "value" brand, Seagull. Those sound nice too.

Regarding the difference of amps, in general acoustic amps are supposedly geared to better reproduce the higher frequencies and harmonics of an acoustic guitar, while electric amps are more lo-fi, and usually intended to distort, which is great for electric guitars, but not acoustics. The difference would be their wiring and speaker cones. This is a broad generalization though...some amps prolly work just fine, others won't. Keyboard amps are also commonly used. I'd guess LATS would know the most about this sorta thing.
[FONT=Palatino Linotype]"Bust a nut!" - Dimebag
"Imagination is more important than knowledge." - Einstein
[/FONT]
# 3
MAVERIC777
Full Access
MAVERIC777
Full Access
02/14/2007 3:36 am
Great info yall. Thanks for the point in the right direction. It will be a bit before I buy. Just wanted to get a sence of direction to get my reserch going...lol. I'll start getting out there and put my hands on every guitar I can. Thanks agin.
A man isen't measured by how far he has traveld in life, but how he made the jurney. ;)

MySpace
# 4

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.