View post (Movie Ruiners.)

View thread

Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
02/14/2007 9:48 am
Originally Posted by: Homebrew1709You guys are gonna tell me that u didn't even slightly enjoy School of Rock?

I enjoyed it to a point.
First problem for me was I don't like movies about bands. They're just always unrealistic. Either the actors don't really play their own instruments, or they have pro studio musicians playing backup tracks that people could never possibly do live. Or an actor can somehow play a complex song on the piano while carrying on a complete conversation at the same time. Or the group will magically be able to play a whole song without even practicing it. Or the editing of the movie is off and they keep showing the actors singing and playing out of sync. Or a string section suddenly starts playing and there's no string players on screen.

Next problem is I get no satisfaction out of watching a movie about a band 'making it' cause hey.. been there, done that. It ain't that exciting.
I know too much about the bad side of the music industry to enjoy watching a band supposedly become 'stars' in a movie when I know in real life they're going to get screwed over by their record company. And playing in front of an auditorium full of people is just that... playing in front of a coupla hundred people who enjoyed your music. So what. It's nice, but that ain't success and not really that exciting a thing to make a whole movie about.

Next problem was I don't remember laughing even once.
I can watch 5 minutes of Fawty Towers or Airplane and consistently laugh my ass off, but I can watch a whole 1 1/2 hours of a Jack Black movie and not laugh even once.

Next problem was the sappy parts were too sappy... the characters were too over the top and overacted.. especially that female teacher.

I watched the movie cause I'd paid for the pay-per-view, but felt I'd wasted my $5 & wouldn't watch it again even if it was free.

And that's my rant.
... so there.
I've taken my Nytol and I'm going beddy bye.