View post (The Greasy Knots need your Greasy help)

View thread

earthman buck
earthman buck
02/07/2007 5:39 am
This evening, we decided to start recording our debut EP with my lil' Micro BR. Things went not so well. We figured it'd be best to record each instrument playing the whole song, then put 'em all together. We were to be held together by use of a metronome.

We started with drums. We spent a while just finding the right level to record at, where the bass drum wasn't clipping and the snare wasn't too piercing. We found it (although it could be better), and Luke did a couple takes with his metronome that sucked. He said it was coming up too quiet in the headphones, even though the volume on the metronome was at its max. He also said the metronome was screwing up his timing, so he did a take without it and nailed it.

We moved on to bass. It was a lot easier to find the right level. As Michael played, Luke and myself danced around the kitchen, trying to make him screw up. Instead we kept crashing into his cymbals and windchimes, (the latter of which actually fit in pretty well with the song). We listened to the two tracks together, and the bass sounded terrible. However, it was more or less in time with the drums, so we decided it wasn't a big deal, as we have a friend who is good with tweaking sounds on Cubase.

Then came guitar. Let's just say I have worse timing than I thought I did.

Do you folks have any tips, however vague? We're having the most trouble with:

-Drums. Snare drum is way too piercing, all others sound like they should be lower or something.
-Playback. Luke's metronome is way too quiet through headphones. The playback on the Micro BR is very quiet as well, which makes it extremely hard to play along with.