View post (Are Marshalls overated?)

View thread

aschleman
aschleman
02/07/2007 1:57 pm
Just like most amps there are things that Marshalls do well and things they don't do well... They get that British tone, good crunch and distorted tones... they usually fall off on the wayside in terms of clean sounds unless you're getting a vintage boutique model... The JCM line is probably their most famous and it's been a work horse in the metal and hard rock industry the last 20 years or so... Most 80's metal albums were recorded on them... But like I said... it's hard to get a nice clean sound out of them. I have a JCM800 and I love it for anything hard but it's not my thing most of the time....

I'd agree that they're overpriced... they are the Gibson of the amp manufacturers... If you're going to spend 1500 dollars on an amp you might as well go with a Mesa Boogie or Genz-Benz... or another type of boutique amp... I've been lusting after a Two-Rock amp... I played one at Sam Ash a few weeks ago and it had such a great balance in it's dirty and clean tones it made me forget all about getting a Fender SuperSonic.....

Overrated... no... Marshalls have their place in the tone world... and it's a pretty historic place at that... Anyone that's ever picked up a guitar in the history of music has most likely recorded through a Marshall at some point.