And before I had time to second-guess my feelings, you said
"I'd show you but you look a little down"

I guess I'd look alive for you (x4)

I saw you on the street and you said "Hey what's new"
I told you everything, you listened and you smiled at me
It was so cold a day we both were nearly freezing
You said "that's what I do" and walked away

I guess I'd look alive for you (x4)

So the first verse, for me, starts us off with an apocalyptic feel, "who's left?" No problem with that. We see the speaker, then, walking through a land of cold and corpses, himself a corpse, his "skin white and peeling." Speaker meets significant-other figure, speaker breaks out of dead (mundane) zone yadda yadda.

Second verse, deferring knowledge of the other figure yadda yadda.

Third verse, speaker here doesn't make any mention of "feeling." Unlike the other two verses, the feel of living is gone, opting instead to simply appear alive so that he can attain knowledge of the "other" figure (in literary scholarship we'd see that as an attempt at a dominant relationship to that figure). While he attains that knowledge, that she's apparently a listener and/or very similar in lifestyle to the speaker and/or a lesbian depending on what "everything" and "that's what I do" constitute (A. that the other's "that's what I do" means she listens, which I doubt because she would have done it earlier as well, B. that the other's "that's what I do" means she shares the same "everything" as the speaker, C. that the "everything" constitutes the speaker's attraction to the opposite sex, specifically the addressed, to which she replies "that's what I do" and in fact is attracted to women, or even D. that the speaker's everything is simply his expression of feelings for her, and her "that's what I do" means breaking hearts). Option "D" would change the meaning of the second chorus, which, I think, makes it the most viable for the song.

And no, I don't know your personal meaning for this song. How do you interpret it?
I want the bomb
I want the P-funk!

My band is better than yours...