Jeff Beck--demigod?

PlatonicShred
PlatonicShred
02/04/2007 3:39 am
No all kidding aside---what a guitar genius. Over the last 40 years he has just been awesome. His chops aren't all that great, and he doesn't know much music theory, but what a style! It works with almost anything.

If you haven't heard him play a 12 bar blues, you're missing out. Personally, I think he is right up there---or beyond--Hendrix when it comes to just wild and fervent leads.
Back In Black isn't a song. It's a divine call that gets channeled through five righteous dudes every thousand years or so. That's why dragons and sea monsters don't exist anymore.
# 1
jiujitsu_jesus
jiujitsu_jesus
02/04/2007 6:30 am
One of my favourite players! Instead of demigod, I'd rather just say "God" :D
"It's all folk music... I ain't never heard no horse sing!"
- Attributed variously to Leadbelly and Louis Armstrong

If at first you don't succeed, you are obviously not Chuck Norris.

l337iZmz r@wk o.K!!!??>
# 2
PlatonicShred
PlatonicShred
02/04/2007 7:33 pm
Originally Posted by: AkiraJeff Beck is fantastic.

However I don't see what's wrong with his licks, and why not knowing much theory would matter?

Nothing is wrong with his licks--just from a pure chops standpoint, there are plenty of guys who can shred him under the table. Nothing wrong with that if you're Jeff Beck, guitar genius.

And not knowing much theory I think hinders him in the rhythm guitar department more than the lead guitar. If he does have any real weakness it's rhythm playing. Again, like anyone cares.
Back In Black isn't a song. It's a divine call that gets channeled through five righteous dudes every thousand years or so. That's why dragons and sea monsters don't exist anymore.
# 3
jiujitsu_jesus
jiujitsu_jesus
02/04/2007 10:18 pm
Originally Posted by: PlatonicShred
And not knowing much theory I think hinders him in the rhythm guitar department more than the lead guitar. If he does have any real weakness it's rhythm playing. Again, like anyone cares.

I know guys who don't even know the names of some of the chords they're playing, and they can play awesome rhythm guitar :confused:. But I agree that Jeff Beck's rhythm is nowhere near as good as his lead.
"It's all folk music... I ain't never heard no horse sing!"
- Attributed variously to Leadbelly and Louis Armstrong

If at first you don't succeed, you are obviously not Chuck Norris.

l337iZmz r@wk o.K!!!??>
# 4
Blues_Man
Blues_Man
02/05/2007 3:09 am
Originally Posted by: AkiraNot trying to pick an argument here, but since when should Jeff Beck be compared to any shredders out there? Apples and Oranges...

Exactly. Tons of people could outshred hendrix, page, clapton, etc. but it's like Akira said, Apples and Oranges. All that aside, he is one of the most respected guitarists out there. Joe Satriani was once asked which guitarist would he most rather take a lesson from, he replied, jeff beck. that's sayin something.
I am Comfortably Numb... :D

Oh yeah...STICK IT TO THE MAN!
# 5
aschleman
aschleman
02/05/2007 11:15 pm
His command of the instrument is insane...
# 6
grizzlymint
grizzlymint
02/05/2007 11:53 pm
Originally Posted by: Blues_ManJoe Satriani was once asked which guitarist would he most rather take a lesson from, he replied, jeff beck. that's sayin something.

I don't know if that sort of thing could be "taught."
Let your soul shine. Its better than sunshine. Its better than moonshine. Damn sure better than rain.
# 7
Blues_Man
Blues_Man
02/06/2007 1:32 am
Originally Posted by: grizzlymintI don't know if that sort of thing could be "taught."

I didn't say it could be taught. All i said was Satch said he would most like to take a lesson from Jeff Beck. Lesson has many meanings, such as:exchanging licks, asking questions about his style, influences, etc.
I am Comfortably Numb... :D

Oh yeah...STICK IT TO THE MAN!
# 8

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.