Your opinion wanted

hunter60
Humble student
hunter60
Humble student
02/01/2007 2:24 am
I was sitting here tonight getting ready to do some work and decided to pop in something out of the norm of my cycle of CD's that always seem to be playing. So I did a grab bag thing; closed my eyes, reached into a random shelf, grabbed one and opened it. Didn't look at what it was and just stuck it in the player and hit play. Lo and behold, it was Robin Trower.

What I am curious about is this; I see a lot of guitarists names thrown around in the forum and have learned about a number of players I've never heard of before (which is a terrific reason to visit the forum) but I can't recall anyone ever offering an opinion on Robin Trower. Do you all feel that he is a good guitar player? I still get goose bumps listening to 'Bridge of Sighs'. I think it's an amazing CD.

Your thoughts?
[FONT=Tahoma]"All I can do is be me ... whoever that is". Bob Dylan [/FONT]
# 1
jiujitsu_jesus
jiujitsu_jesus
02/01/2007 3:25 am
I have only heard a little of Robin Trower, but I really like the four songs I have heard - "Day of the Eagle", "Lady Love", "Bridge of Sighs" and "Daydream".

Here is a video of Marty Friedman and Paul Gilbert jamming along to "Daydream" - thankfully, they don't kill it with excessive shredding!
"It's all folk music... I ain't never heard no horse sing!"
- Attributed variously to Leadbelly and Louis Armstrong

If at first you don't succeed, you are obviously not Chuck Norris.

l337iZmz r@wk o.K!!!??>
# 2
Bar Chord Nick
Full Access
Bar Chord Nick
Full Access
02/01/2007 4:03 am
If you are interested in Robin Trower you can checkout his soundclicks page.

Robin Trower
# 3
da_ardvark
da_ardvark
02/01/2007 2:45 pm
Trower is one of those players who is able to use the guitar to emote. He can say more with one note than most can with many notes. He's one of the giants upon who's shoulders we all stand.
# 4
hunter60
Humble student
hunter60
Humble student
02/01/2007 3:25 pm
Originally Posted by: da_ardvarkTrower is one of those players who is able to use the guitar to emote. He can say more with one note than most can with many notes. He's one of the giants upon who's shoulders we all stand.

Nicely said!
[FONT=Tahoma]"All I can do is be me ... whoever that is". Bob Dylan [/FONT]
# 5
dvenetian
dvenetian
02/03/2007 4:32 pm
When Trower left Procol Harum and went solo, He was taking the U.K. by storm and getting recognition in the US. With Hendrix gone, he was building a reputation as the next Icon for a short while. That was until his Irish neighbor, also ripping up the scene, was getting recognized as well. His Irish neighbor was a Strat-man as well, named Rory Gallagher, who played with incredible style. Trower has a great style of his own and "Bridge of Sighs" is a masterpiece!!!!!!!!
# 6
strat-man
strat-man
02/03/2007 9:33 pm
Originally Posted by: dvenetianHis Irish neighbor was Strat-man, named Rory Gallagher, who played with incredible style.

I am not Irish and i am NOT named Rory Gallagher! :mad: but yes i do play with incredible style :cool: so thankyou :D
Strat totin
Six string slingin
Son of a gun

I met my maker, i made him cry, and on my shoulder he asked me why, his people won't fly thru the storm, i said, listen here man they don't even know your born.

strat-man rocks with vox
# 7
PlatonicShred
PlatonicShred
02/04/2007 3:34 am
He is an alright guitar player. I have always felt that the regard in which he is held is about right. His style is just too simple to me. The guys I think are top notch for emotion, again IMO, are just out of his league---Clapton, Hendrix, Beck, sometimes EVH.
Back In Black isn't a song. It's a divine call that gets channeled through five righteous dudes every thousand years or so. That's why dragons and sea monsters don't exist anymore.
# 8

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.