Smokin Aces

guitarfreak141
Obsessed Freak
guitarfreak141
Obsessed Freak
02/01/2007 1:34 am
Wow, what a sweet movie. Second amazing movie I have seen this year. The first one was Children of Men, which is a really good movie as well. I went with four of my friends and two decided to see Epic Movie instead, they said it sucked, though I was already assuming that due to the unappealing trailer and the fact that Date Movie was pretty bad.

Although,the absolute best movie I've seen in the last few years, or maybe even more, is The Departed. Everybody who likes movies must see that movie.

Anyways, anyone seen Smokin Aces?
If there's one thing I've learned, it's that life is one crushing defeat after another until you just wish Flanders was dead.

Rock stars ... is there anything they don't know?
# 1
MAVERIC777
Full Access
MAVERIC777
Full Access
02/01/2007 1:45 am
I havent but have conciderd it. Prob going to wait till dvd.
A man isen't measured by how far he has traveld in life, but how he made the jurney. ;)

MySpace
# 2
aschleman
aschleman
02/02/2007 1:19 am
Haven't seen it yet... but it looks like a decent movie...

Best movie that I saw last year besides The Departed was Green Street Hooligans.... and independant film that was released late 2005 early 2006. Awesome flick... In my top 10.
# 3
GuitarPsy
Full Access
GuitarPsy
Full Access
02/02/2007 6:07 pm
I've only read bad reviews about Smoking Aces, weird... good to hear something positive from you! I want to see so many movies right now, and I definitely agree with you on the superb quality of the Departed, it's fighting for first place together with Happy Feet :p
= good music is good drinking =
# 4
elklandercc
Full Access
elklandercc
Full Access
02/02/2007 6:32 pm
I rarely listen to critics or movie reviews these days (mabey except for Rolling Stone mag.) 9/10 times I turn out to dissagree with them.
"During this line, the kid acted like he was pushing buttons on a calculator in the air. The kid played ******* air-calculator!"

Myspace
# 5
aschleman
aschleman
02/02/2007 6:32 pm
The bad thing about movie critics... is they always put down the action films. I've never seen one pure action film that got good reviews. Movies like The Departed that have a healthy mix of plot and action coupled with heavyweight director like Martin Scorcese will always get rave reviews... Where as Smokin' Aces is, from what I've heard, a movie that's mostly smash'em action scenes and the like..... Plenty of great movies have gotten bad reviews simply because they don't meet certain critics criteria for the right amount of plot in an action movie.... I personally don't like action packed movies that are all about the explosions and special effects... but I do want to see Smokin' Aces just becuase it looks cool...... Kind of Pulp Fiction/Sin City/James Bond/Ocean's Eleven'ish.....

But for anyone who's looking for a killer flick to check out... I still highly recommend Green Street Hooligans...
# 6
guitarfreak141
Obsessed Freak
guitarfreak141
Obsessed Freak
02/02/2007 8:00 pm
Originally Posted by: aschlemanThe bad thing about movie critics... is they always put down the action films. I've never seen one pure action film that got good reviews. Movies like The Departed that have a healthy mix of plot and action coupled with heavyweight director like Martin Scorcese will always get rave reviews... Where as Smokin' Aces is, from what I've heard, a movie that's mostly smash'em action scenes and the like..... Plenty of great movies have gotten bad reviews simply because they don't meet certain critics criteria for the right amount of plot in an action movie.... I personally don't like action packed movies that are all about the explosions and special effects... but I do want to see Smokin' Aces just becuase it looks cool...... Kind of Pulp Fiction/Sin City/James Bond/Ocean's Eleven'ish.....

But for anyone who's looking for a killer flick to check out... I still highly recommend Green Street Hooligans...

Ya, I almost never agree with the critics. What is Green Street Hooligans about?
If there's one thing I've learned, it's that life is one crushing defeat after another until you just wish Flanders was dead.

# 7
aschleman
aschleman
02/02/2007 8:17 pm
Originally Posted by: guitarfreak141Ya, I almost never agree with the critics. What is Green Street Hooligans about?

Yeah, me niether...

Green Street Hooligans is about a Harvard (I think... it might be a different Ivy League school) student, played by Elijah Wood, who gets kicked out of school. His roomate is the son of a wealthy alumnist and when he's caught with cocaine he blames it on Elijah Woods character...... That's where the story pretty much picks up... Elijah Woods characters father is a well known journalist and instead of telling his father that he got kicked out of school he uses what money he has left to fly to England to stay with his sister who is married and has a child.... There he's taken to a football game by his sisters brother in law.... and he learns a lot about life on the way by joining the Green Street Elite... a soccer hooligan clan. It's just a well written and directed movie.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=1a3OwI799og
# 8
guitarfreak141
Obsessed Freak
guitarfreak141
Obsessed Freak
02/02/2007 9:27 pm
Originally Posted by: aschlemanYeah, me niether...

Green Street Hooligans is about a Harvard (I think... it might be a different Ivy League school) student, played by Elijah Wood, who gets kicked out of school. His roomate is the son of a wealthy alumnist and when he's caught with cocaine he blames it on Elijah Woods character...... That's where the story pretty much picks up... Elijah Woods characters father is a well known journalist and instead of telling his father that he got kicked out of school he uses what money he has left to fly to England to stay with his sister who is married and has a child.... There he's taken to a football game by his sisters brother in law.... and he learns a lot about life on the way by joining the Green Street Elite... a soccer hooligan clan. It's just a well written and directed movie.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=1a3OwI799og

looks pretty cool, I'll see if they have it at blockbuster next time I go there.

# 9

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.