View post (scales verses modes/end of debate.)

View thread

ren
ren
01/30/2007 3:37 pm
I like to think that I'm pretty decent with music theory - diatonic harmony and modal stuff.... fine. I still can't quite figure out what you're going for though.

It looks like you start off talking about a chromatic scale, but you talk about it going from the 12th Fret on the low E string (an E) to the 15th fret of the high E (a G). A 2 Octave chromatic in G would be low E 15 to high E 15, and 3 octave would be fret 3 of the low E to fret 15 of the high E. A chromatic scale is every note, so yeah - it contains any scale you'd care to name, but I'm not sure what that teaches us.

What you can do is learn the modes based on how they differ from the Ionian (major) scale, or the Aeolian (natural minor) scale and use that - you can shift key without shifting position and all sorts of cool things with that.

Aschleman has a point man... thin ice.... :eek: It also seems a little egotistical for you to say that this is the end of the debate...

Check out my music, video, lessons & backing tracks here![br]https://www.renhimself.com