View post (Frank Gambale - Improvisation made easier)

View thread

clewnii
clewnii
01/28/2007 2:51 pm
Im currently trying my best to climb this ummm mountain of insanity...

Ive made it through the first chapter ('bout the mixolydian scale), and i can play all the licks n tricks except one that i found to... ehm un-musical to spend time trying to learn. whatever.

However every example is a mountain to climb by itself and i actually find my self getting more and depressed since every lick seems like a complete mind-body-brain-f**k. My fingers DO NOT want to play them and my brain doesnt understand his "melodies". I was raised on Twisted sister, Bryan Adams, GnR and later Metallica.. thats were i got my sense of melody. And my alt picking isnt as precise as mr Gambales either.
I like the THOUGHT of challenging myself with this stuff, something completely alien to me, but right now its just..

BLAAAAAARGH!!!! ;D And i dont even listen to his music, dont think I ever heard one of his songs. I just knew this would be hard and thats the only reason im doing it.

The licks I HAVE learned are a pretty fun to play and i practise them alot. But every time I take a shot at a new one.. WELL THE FRUSTRATION just keeps piling up...

Well, I just had to write something to calm down a bit.