acoustic strings on an electric guitar

kafofkah
kafofkah
01/26/2007 12:54 am
has anyone ( im sure somebody has... ) here put acoustic strings on an electric guitar and put they're guitar on distortion ( for an example of distortion, lets say...rectify ) ??? i saw on youtube a guy that put acoustic strings on his electric-but he was using an echo effect with another effect ( ithink it was phase or somethin' ) and it was kinda hard to hear what the results where, but it didnt sound quite that diffrent from electric strings. any thoughts?
# 1
da_ardvark
da_ardvark
01/26/2007 4:31 pm
My thoughts are that this is not a great idea. The pickups in an electric guitar require a magnetic metal. This metal as it passes thru the magnetic field of the pickup, distorts this magnetic field and induces a small electric current in the pickup which is then amplified. Most acoustic strings are phosphor bronze and will not work well on an electric.
# 2
aschleman
aschleman
01/26/2007 5:33 pm
Originally Posted by: da_ardvark Most acoustic strings are phosphor bronze and will not work well on an electric.

Bingo.

It CAN be done... but the tone is going to be somewhere between nonexistant and crappy... Unless that's the tone you're going for I wouldn't suggest doin it. Just buy strings that are made for electrics...

If you're wanting to experiment... go for it. Atleast after you're done you'll know exactly what the result is. All tone breakthroughs are the result of someone doing somehting that someone probably told them not to do.... i.e. the distortion pedal, the wah pedal, overwound pickups, the floyd rose... etc....etc... etc... So if you're really wanting to explore that area of tone go for it... It's your money that's going to buy the strings not mine though. haha
# 3
kafofkah
kafofkah
01/26/2007 10:32 pm
well sometimes its my money and sometimes its not anyones money ( when the store clerk inst watching...lol ) but its just for experimentation, i figure experiments with music is where some really cool and unique sounds are discovered. like when jimmy page used a violen bow instead of a pick! its just experimentation. it might work out with diffrent effects. we'll see.
# 4

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.