Question for LATS

Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
01/25/2007 9:12 pm
So, having got to the UK armed with several hefty step up / step down transformers and they work really well.

However, I have several bits of kit that have auto switching powersuplys (i.e are happy to receive either 240V or 110V). As you would expect, these guys have US plugs on them.

So, my question is, can I use a USA type power-strips / multi-plug thingamies with 240v AC or will they melt, explode and catch fire ? I suspect I will blow fuses however Im a bit nervous about experimenting !!

Cheers mate

Simon
My instructors page and www.studiotrax.net for all things recording.
my toons Brought to you by Dr BadGAS
# 1
strat-man
strat-man
01/25/2007 10:00 pm
If your US plugs are the same as UK plugs (3pin) and are wired the same i.e live right, neutral left, earth/ground top (viewed from the pin side of the plug) and your power strips work on 240volts your good to go, if your on 2pin plugs or a different voltage then NOOOOOOOOO

Strat-man standing in till LATS arrives :D
Strat totin
Six string slingin
Son of a gun

I met my maker, i made him cry, and on my shoulder he asked me why, his people won't fly thru the storm, i said, listen here man they don't even know your born.

strat-man rocks with vox
# 2
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
01/26/2007 6:02 am
they are wired the same however they are designed to take 110v as opposed to 240v which is why Im a bit worried
# 3
strat-man
strat-man
01/26/2007 9:10 pm
In that case then Doc, NOOOOOOO, :eek: that is my advice as the son of a professional electrician :)
Strat totin
Six string slingin
Son of a gun

I met my maker, i made him cry, and on my shoulder he asked me why, his people won't fly thru the storm, i said, listen here man they don't even know your born.

strat-man rocks with vox
# 4
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
01/26/2007 10:56 pm
Im feeding the computer and the monitors striate out of the wall with adapters as they have universal power supplies and the rest of a step-down. So far no problems !!
# 5
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
01/27/2007 6:27 am
mock ye not young spunker !!!

Yesterday I got everything powered, today I wire all the audio and midi and check my current draw (before turning everything on at once) and then Sunday .....

Sunday is systems check day !!

After that Im open for buisnes !
# 6
strat-man
strat-man
01/27/2007 4:59 pm
LMAO Akira! :D Sorry Doc i was refering to your power strips, or extension leads as we call em, if they're designed for 110v don't put 240v thru em the cable won't handle it, but if your usin 240v gear straight from the socket or with appropriate adaptors then your ok.
Strat totin
Six string slingin
Son of a gun

strat-man rocks with vox
# 7
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
01/27/2007 7:40 pm
Sorry I'm so late getting in here, Doc; I've been working nights and it pretty much trashed me out.

As you have discovered by now, a self-switching power supply can handle a wide range of voltages, and line frequency of either 50 or 60 Hz.

At my lab, we test a lot of products that are intended for the European market, usually 230 VAC at 50 Hz. The cables we use are standard off-the-shelf stuff, because the wire used for North American products is usually rated for 600 Volts. The potential trouble is in the plugs and sockets.

Europe has a dismaying variety of AC mains plug and socket designs, but the common factor is that they are rated for much higher voltage than the North American hardware. I particularly like the UK plugs, which often have an internal fuse, rated for the device it powers. Brilliant!

Anyway, I strongly recommend changing all of the mains plugs to match the local hardware. The equipment that is downstream of the step-down transformers will be getting 110 to 120 VAC, and that's OK, but anything that has to deal with the full 240 Volt mains should be up to standard.

If you change the plugs yourself, be careful about the differences in colour codes applied to North American and European AC power cord wiring.

In North America:
Green = Ground
White = Neutral
Black = Line (Hot)

In Europe:
Green/Yellow = Ground
Blue = Neutral
Brown = Line (Hot)

Do NOT get things mixed up! :eek:
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 8
strat-man
strat-man
01/27/2007 7:57 pm
Thank god you turned up LATS! i was gonna send out a search party :D
Strat totin
Six string slingin
Son of a gun

strat-man rocks with vox
# 9

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.