View post (Modes from a different view)

View thread

ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
04/29/2010 9:15 pm
Originally Posted by: JOHN JAUNESEThe Harmonic Minor is a single mode scale based off of the "aolian" mode.[/quote]
The Modes of the Harmonic Minor Scale:

1 Harmonic Minor
2 Locrian Natural 6
3 Ionian Augmented (Sharp 5)
4 Dorian Sharp 4 (AKA Romanian Minor, Ukranian Minor)
5 Phrygian Dominant
6 Lydian Sharp 2
7 Ultra Locrian (AKA Super Locrian Diminished)

http://docs.solfege.org:81/3.14/C/scales/har.html

The harmonic minor scale is indeed an altered form of the natural minor scale (aeolian). And we can make modes with it just like any other scale. We simply give each note of the scale a chance to start the sequence of notes and we are on our way.

This page names the modes of both melodic minor & harmonic minor:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Musical_mode#Other_types

This page shows the modes of harmonic minor, their typical names, and fretboard patterns:

http://www.scribd.com/doc/25388105/Harmonic-Minor-With-Modal-Spellings-and-Chord-Scales

Clearly the harmonic minor scale has modes.
[QUOTE=JOHN JAUNESE]
You say you read everything and then some, but you seem to be confusing "modes" with "positions". I played all seven positions of the Harmonic minor in the video, and you called them modes? You see, all seven positions are of the same mode. Why are you calling each of the positions of the Harmonic minor scale a mode?

While it is sometimes useful to use the word position to refer to a fretboard grouping (as this page does) it can be misleading because the word has another specific meaning in the context of guitar playing.

Specifically, it can refer to the lowest fret being used in any given musical passage. I've run into the problem myself when teaching & think it is important to make the distinction for students so they don't get confused.

"In common with other classical stringed instruments, classical guitar playing and notation use formal positions of the left hand. The 'nth position' means that the hand is positioned with the first finger over the nth fret."

source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Classical_guitar_technique

I picked that page with the fretboard patterns labelled as position precisely because it does what you did by using the words position to be equated with mode. For example, in the video you are playing your first scale pattern with the second fret as the lowest fingered position. This leads to the possible confusion of telling a student:

Now play the first position (really the first "pattern" or mode) of the scale at the second position. Start the second position (really the second "pattern" or mode) at the fourth position.

Then if you change keys you've got another confusing set of instructions that conflicts with the first set!

So I think it is less confusing for students if instructors reserve the word position specifically for the lowest fingered fret in any given pattern.

Play the first pattern or mode at the second position (fret), play the second pattern or mode at the fourth fret. And so on.

Make sense?! :)

Don't get me wrong, I've made the same mistake plenty of times, so I am also trying to be on guard against it. Learning the guitar can be confusing & complex enough without the student having to parse conflicting instructor info.

I am assuming you are a guitar instructor or at least are trying to get people to view your instructional material. And you are welcome to post here. But, since I am an instructor here I want to make sure this forum contains accurate info. That is why I am making these points. I am not trying to "start an argument" with you, or "pick on you without reason".

I am sincerely & honestly concerned with being accurate and presenting truthful info about music theory here. I can only assume you have similiar goals. Otherwise why would you be posting here, right?

And FWIW, I did compliment your playing because I think it is outstanding technique! :)
Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory