View post (Modes from a different view)

View thread

ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
04/29/2010 4:09 pm
Diatonic modes are merely a concept of method that can be applied to a series of pitch specific sounds; in this case the major scale. I can't see any value in claiming this concept is weak. It is merely true. Some many find it valuable to think of the notes this way; some may not.

What does it mean to say it is displaced? :confused: Are you saying it is in the wrong place? Part of it is in the wrong place? If you mean it doesn't have a leading tone, then so what? Any scale or mode that doesn't contain a leading tone can be altered or modulated in order to contain one. Can you clarify this please?
Originally Posted by: JOHN JAUNESEThis is why I prefer the Classical Scale (Harmonic Minor) because it has no system of Modes (some pretend it does~).
[/quote]
First, you have a preference for the sound of an altered form of the minor scale. That's great! It is valuable to know what one likes in order to play music one enjoys.

Second, in Classical music you will find multiple examples of the major scale, the natural minor scale, the melodic minor as well as the harmonic minor scale. It is misleading, at best, to label the hamonic minor scale as The Classical Scale.

Third, any scale can be viewed as a series of modes. For example, phrygian dominant is the fifth mode of harmonic minor. I'm not sure what you hope to accomplish by claiming this is not true. Especially because the next thing you post is ...
Originally Posted by: JOHN JAUNESEThis single mode scale is based off of the Aolian mode, only with the altered raised 7th degree. This scale (mode) is considered the KING OF TONALITY, and most popular in Classical music.

You claim diatonic modes are weak and displaced, but you are acknowledging using one (aeolian), altering it, and it is a "mode scale". :confused:

In any event, if any scale is the "king" of tonality, it would have to be the major scale, which also contains a leading tone, which is part of a dominant V chord or diminished vii chord, therefore can be used to create tonal resolutions.
[QUOTE=JOHN JAUNESE]
Here is my fingering for all seven positions in F#m.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uudCP59fRo8

Wow, great technique! :) Ironically, in that video you are playing the modes of harmonic minor, an altered form of the natural minor scale, which can be viewed as an altered diatonic mode of the major scale.

Obviously you can play very well. I hope you can reassess the flaws in your conceptual approach and improve your thinking in order to raise it to the same level as your awesome physical technique & skills.

Best of success!
Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory