View post (Modes from a different view)

View thread

dvenetian
dvenetian
10/07/2007 1:25 am
Originally Posted by: light487hey hey.. so I was really confused about modes this morning. I thought may be I had completely misunderstood modes for about 15 minutes. It's because I watched some thing on YouTube by Satch showing all the modes. and then something clicked and I realised there is two ways to think about modes.

#1: The modes of the Major scale.
#2: The modes of a Key.

May be there is a better way to say the 2nd form, I'll explain what I mean. In the first method, which is the usual method of looking at modes.. you have 7 unique starting notes of the same scale of notes. In the second method, you have 7 scales of notes starting with the same root note.

If I played through all the modes of the C Major scale, the first method, then the Dorian mode would actually be called D Dorian.. it's a D Minor scale with a raised 6th (or something).. but it is still just the C Major scale starting on the second note, the D. The next mode, E Phrygian is really like an E minor with a raised something but still just the C Major scale starting on the third note, the E.. so that got me thinking..

If I grab all the same starting notes.. eg. E Ionian, E Dorian, E Phrygian etc.. then I am no longer playing the E Major scale when I play E Phrygian.. I am now playing the C Major scale, starting on the E/third/phrygian note. So if I play an open bottom-E string, then play through each of the modes for E, using the second method of thinking.. I get 7 modes of the Key of E... which are the ones I actually want.. because they are the usable ones.. It makes complete sense now.

Using the same root note (E as example) in each scale, mode, etc..... does not make them all fit into the Key Of E.
The Key of E contains the notes; E-F#-G#-A-B-C#-D#
The E Phrygian Mode has notes; E-F-G-A-B-C-D
The E Dorian Mode has notes: E-F#-G-A-B-C#-D
All have different functions. They can be used for an emphasis to something.
They are Parallel scales.
By trying to separate the thought of looking at E Phrygian as just Starting the C Major scale from it's third note, I'm going to scramble these notes up in no apparent order to and see if it makes sense.

D-B-F-A-C-G-E......Does this look like the C Major Scale???? now Another,
G-A-B-C-D-E-F#....How about this one???? Why not? they both have C in them........
The fact is that the only way to create a Major scale is by the Intervals following the Root; = R-W-W-h-W-W-W-h.......
So C Major looks like this;... C-D-E-F-G-A-B......
Now let's look at it this way; A-B-C-D-E-F-G......
That's not the C Major Scale, It's the A natural minor scale (Aeolian Mode)
The Intervals are different and the C note has become a minor 3rd.
Every mode including the Aeolian mode has a different interval pattern which changes each notes function.
So, if you play a progression in D Dorian for example, it's Dorian...........