View post (Modes from a different view)

View thread

dvenetian
dvenetian
02/22/2007 6:49 pm
Originally Posted by: kennyp46So to put it in simple terms, if i learn the five positions of the major (ionian) and natural minor (aeolian) and then group them as major and minor modes, i won't have to memorize the other modes as long as i remember which note is # and which is b in each of the other modes

In simple terms, it's best to learn the intervals that factor the make up of the mode. This will determine whether it is a Major or minor mode by the Major or minor intervals in it's make up.
Example: Let's say a song uses a chord progression of B, C, D, F#, and G power chords with B as the Tonal center of the song. When we first look at the intervals these chords make up, we notice that there are only two possible modes that these intervals are comprised from. The Phrygian and the Locrian modes. When we look closer we notice that the Locrian mode Intervals require a b5th (F) which is not in the progression, so that leaves us with only one possible mode that the Chord progression fits in; The Phrygian mode. This progression fits The B Phrygian mode. The progression also allows for the E and A chord to be used as well because they are intervals of the B- Phrygian mode.
This would be an example on how you would express the use of a mode to make it sound like it's own and not just a spin off from G Major (Ionian).